Thursday, January 1, 2015

Romans 11:13-15 - The Jews and the Resurrection

Romans 11:13-15 - 13 But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them. 15 For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

Message: Jealousy and the Jewish people; Paul sought to reach the Jews by reaching the Gentiles.

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome.

What the Lord is Saying:


In the same chapter, Paul states he is an Israelite, but also an apostle of Gentiles. This is a somewhat simple passage, it would seem. Jealousy continues to be a theme though. Paul mentions it here. Romans 10:19. Paul introduced the idea based upon Deuteronomy and the Israelites provoking God to jealousy by serving other gods. And then Paul talking about how God went out to the Gentiles to make Israel jealous. 

Paul sought to reach the Jews by reaching the Gentiles. 

In verse 15, Paul mentions the reconciliation of the world, meaning all Gentiles everywhere. Paul had confidence that the number saved would be large. 

The Table Talk reading for today was quite poignant. It defended the argument that the Reformed theology, though it speaks of the sovereignty of God and that the Creator has only chosen some for salvation, reminds us of the zeal Paul had in his ministry to reach the lost. It is clear then that the Lord works through means of all sorts, including our or my preaching of the gospel. He uses us to bring about the ends He has ordained. 

Ezekiel 37:12-14
“Behold, I will open your graves and cause you to come up out of your graves, My people; and I will bring you into the land of Israel.
“Then you will know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves and caused you to come up out of your graves, My people.

“I will put My Spirit within you and you will come to life, and I will place you on your own land. Then you will know that I, the Lord, have spoken and done it,” declares the Lord.’ ”

Promise: Many will be saved.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment