Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Romans 11:30-32 - Mercy on All

Romans 11:30-32 - 30 For just as you once were disobedient to God, but now have been shown mercy because of their disobedience, 31 so these also now have been disobedient, that because of the mercy shown to you they also may now be shown mercy. 32 For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all.

Message: Disobedience and Mercy

Time: Written in AD 57 from Greece, to the Christians, both Gentile and Jewish in Rome.

What the Lord is Saying:


The Common Thread of Disobedience - verse 30
I need to understand today that I was in a state of disobedience and so I should never look at someone in that state and think highly of myself. What it should do is move me to want to share with them, not make myself out to be better than them.But here, the language is specific to the Jewish people. If anyone deserves the most compassion in their state of disobedience, it is the Jewish people.

Mercy Came Running - verse 31
I have received mercy. The Gentile has received mercy. Mercy will come again to the Jew. I remember that song from Philips, Craig and Dean, "Mercy Came Running."

Once there was a holy place
Evidence of God's embrace
And I can almost see mercy's face
Pressed against the veil

Looking down with longing eyes
Mercy must have realized
That once His blood was sacrificed
Freedom would prevail

And as the sky grew dark
And the earth began to shake
With justice no longer in the way

Mercy came running
Like a prisoner set free
Past all my failures
To the point of my need
When the sin that I carried
Was all I could see
And when I could not reach mercy
Mercy came running to me

Disobedience and Mercy at the hands of God - verse 32
The ideas of disobedience and mercy come together in verse 32 and Paul really makes a conclusion that God shuts all up in disobedience and shows mercy for all. God is the one in charge. 

Promise: From Table Talk August 28, 2014, "The Lord shows mercy to all kinds of people, so we must never think that someone is beyond the reach of God's grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment