Friday, October 28, 2016

Ecclesiastes 7:2-4 - Mirth and Mourning

Ecclesiastes 7:2-4
It is better to go to a house of mourning
Than to go to a house of feasting,
Because that is the end of every man,
And the living takes it to heart.
Sorrow is better than laughter,
For when a face is sad a heart may be happy.
The mind of the wise is in the house of mourning,
While the mind of fools is in the house of pleasure.
 
Message: Mirth and Mourning

Time: Ecclesiastes: Solomon's authorship is not stated. Solomon's reign as king of Israel lasted from around 970 B.C. to around 930 B.C. The Book of Ecclesiastes was likely written towards the end of his reign, approximately 935 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

I became aware of these verses for the first time upon hearing the Choir's Chase the Kangaroo release in 1988. I was 21 at the time or close to it and in college and that CD quickly become one of my favorite music releases of all time. At the time, I was a sophomore/junior in college and I believe I was getting over a relationship with a gal I shouldn't have been dating to begin with. She tore down my self-esteem and although a Christian, the relationship was not good for me. I broke it off with her and she went berserk upon me doing this in the early part of 1988. It was a good decision, but a hard one at the time. Shortly thereafter I got involved with Campus Crusade and really sort of got my life back together, spending time with a new friend, Scott, who really helped me right the ship and get me grounded again in the Word of God. This was the year that Chase the Kangaroo came out. I had always been a Christian music nut, but my early years at Baylor did get me into mainstream music again.

The song ends with this chorus:

A sad face is good for the heart of a child
For the heart of a child
For the heart of a child
For the heart of a child
A sad face
A sad face
A sad face

In the liner notes, it referenced Ecclesiastes 7:3 and I appreciated that. The verse has always stuck with me. It has been a needed reminder in my life that "sorrow (can be) better than laughter for when a face is sad a heart may be happy." Maybe I have had a tendency in life to have a sad face.

One of the dangers about our current lives that I sense is the way we got from event to event, circumstance to circumstance. The instant gratification that has become the norm for us over the last 25 years has been eroding our time to simply reflect. Even this time that I take in the morning is tough. I have little time to ponder as I must get Derek ready for school shortly and get myself going. But, it isn't just having those responsibilities. These electronic devices in our lives mean that we just don't have to work anymore for much. It is a foreign concept at times to really take the time to think about life and our circumstances.

I remember this book my dad gave me about a Jewish lady that spent a year to mourn over the passing of her husband or daughter. I read that book at my dad's suggestion and it has always stayed in my life and thinking. It reminds me of the importance of taking the time to reflect and remember a person's life. We expect mourning to be quick now, mostly I think because the focus of life is so much comfort, enjoyment and satisfaction. Even today, I'm enamored by people that are always happy and always have a smile on their face. It's attractive I suppose. And yet I also wonder if that person is trying to fool themselves that enjoyment is all you need in life.

Yet Solomon in these words gives us the reminder that "a sad face is good for the heart."  Sometimes we need to take more time to ponder and think about life. It is contemplation and mourning that we often reflect on our state of mind and where we stand with God. In some ways that time period after I dated that girl in college turned into a time of mourning. It took me a little bit of time to get out of that funk. I needed to rediscover myself and who I was. And who I was in Christ. I never left being a Christian but I needed to restore my confidence. This verse expresses that the fool simply stays in the house of merriment or laughter all the time.

Promise: I must take time on a regular basis to meditate on Scripture and what it tells us about the Lord and His ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment