Monday, September 10, 2018

Mark 10:23-25 - The Difficulty of Entering the Kingdom

Mark 10:23-25
23 And Jesus, looking around, *said to His disciples, How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 The disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus *answered again and *said to them, Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

Message: The Difficulty of Entering the Kingdom

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying: 

Preface - A man has come to Jesus asking what he can do to inherit eternal life. He calls Jesus good and Jesus attempts to correct him so the next time he calls him simply Teacher. This man feels confident that he has kept the laws, the 10 commandments, and yet he still asks the question of how he can obtain eternal life. Jesus tells him that it is more than only rule-keeping, but a matter of the heart. The man walks away because his heart is focused on accumulating wealth and he won't give up his wealth for anything else. 

And Jesus, looking around, said to His disciples, “How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!” Mark records Jesus first looking around, as if Jesus is wondering if this incident has had an impression or impact on His disciples. In other words, are they understanding the lesson that is here in this man and his response? Jesus makes a pronouncement that is still true today. The wealthy feel like they don't need God. They have everything that money can by and so they have need for nothing else. It is an interesting assertion, especially in the world I live in where having more seems to be what everyone wants. And those that have little are thought to be suffering. 

What happened to this man becomes a lesson to us all. Having wealth can create a stumbling block to man and his ways. The disciples were amazed at His words. The words of Jesus continue to express an opposite way to that which has been proclaimed in the world and Jesus today continues to put forth this opposite way. 


But Jesus *answered again and *said to them, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” Again, Jesus repeats and he then draws upon a comparative hyperbolic language. It is simpler to take a large animal and fit him into a small opening that it is for a rich mad who has a large abundance of things to be willing to give them all up so as to enter the kingdom of God. 

But, it is not impossible, Jesus is stating though it can be hard. For the rich young ruler, it was hard. He had things in this earth to hold onto and he could see how his days were better, his present days were better by having these things. And to give them up, even if it was only a matter of the heart giving them up, was not what he could do.

Yet, this is also a lesson for me. I protect our finances. I have a giving heart and yet I often don't give because I am concerned about the needs of my family. And I want to make sure I have what I need to sustain this present life. It is tough to know at times how to give. 

Summary - Jesus, after speaking to the Rich Young Ruler, in answering his question on obtaining eternal life takes a moment to speak a lesson to the disciples and those around. He says that being rich makes it hard, not impossible, but hard for people then to enter the kingdom of God. We must always be careful of the matters of our heart. 

Promise: Wealth brings temptations. We may be prone to look for security in our riches and not in Christ. Where is my heart? 

Prayer: Lord, I need to evaluate this in my life. I know I do this at times. I like to hold onto my wealth. And yet I know I can also be a giving person. There is a tough balance. I want to be guided by You. And I want to make sure that I am not holding onto something, my wealth, and forgoing what you are calling me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment