Friday, October 19, 2018

Mark 11:20-24 - Believing Prayer

Mark 11:20-24
20 As they were passing by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots up. 21 Being reminded, Peter *said to Him, “Rabbi, look, the fig tree which You cursed has withered.” 22 And Jesus *answered saying to them, “Have faith in God. 23 Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him. 24 Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you.

Message: Believing Prayer

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Preface - Upon entering Jerusalem on a colt, procured by the disciples, at the request of Jesus, Jesus goes to the temple to check things out and the following day finds no fruit on a fig tree and curses it and then later the chief priests and scribes for having the appearance of fruit but in fact not fulfilling their true calling. At the temple, the problem was they had turned God's house into a robbers den. This assertion by Jesus angered the scribes and priests and produced a fear in them and astonishment in the people. Jesus and the disciples left the City. perhaps withdrawing God's complete presence from the temple.

As they were passing by in the morning (so it is the 3rd day (1st day was the colt, then 2nd day was going to the fig tree and temple, now it is the 3rd day)) they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. This is the same fig tree that before had been leafy but after leaving that tree, Jesus cursed it and after Jesus cursed it the fig tree withered from the roots. Jesus has that kind of power on tree's. I heard Tom Nelson from Denton Bible say that throughout Jesus' time on earth, the miracles that he performed were on people or other things (calming the sea or pronouncing judgment like he did here), but he never used his divinity to help himself. From the standpoint of himself he was always acted as fully man only and was tempted just like we were and had painful experiences just like we do.

Being reminded of how they had passed this tree previously and Jesus had cursed it upon it not bearing fruit, Peter *said to Him, “Rabbi, look, the fig tree which You cursed has withered.” Is Peter surprised by this? Peter (and the disciples) seem amazed that Jesus' words did come true. And Jesus *answered saying to them, “Have faith in God. Jesus provides a response to the disciples that has been his response to them throughout His ministry to them: Have faith in God. There was a point even in Jesus' ministry when he sent his disciples away and told them that they would do the work he has been doing and could accomplish it but they disciples struggled and the chief problem they had was faith. Thus, here Jesus tells them again that the things that he does might seem impossible or unlikely and produce a result that is amazing, but Jesus doesn't just then tell them, that Yes, this is what I can do, but he says to them. yes, this is what one who is aligned with God can do. And it starts with one simple idea: Have faith in God that he will do what he said he will do.

Now, Jesus will liken that example to moving a mountain and prayer. Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him. It seems the mountain will be likened to prayer. What seems impossible to man is possible for God and this seems to be what he is speaking as he remarks about something specific, the moving of a mountain and then saysTherefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you. 

Now the "ask and you will receive" idea has always been a little baffling and I would even say controversial for the believer in Christ and for the onlookers of the world. This idea that receiving what you want is simply about having faith would seem to mean that we can ask for things and if it is by faith, it should be granted. The principle of having faith is not having doubt. James 1:6 says, "But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind." This seems hard because I find in my prayer, honestly that often, even though I am praying my prayers are not always in faith because of my own experience of praying and not getting what I ask. So simply voicing it does not guarantee or mean that I have faith. Perhaps that is what I want to see in the scripture is those words that say, "have faith and ask but in asking you may not always get what you ask for."

See I know from my experience that not everything I ask for, I receive. But it still makes me wonder the meaning of these words. I know from other areas of scripture that I must pray in accordance to God's will and yet, I still want to see that idea here as well.

Summary - As they are coming into town the 3rd day (from their arrival to Jerusalem) Peter comments that the fig tree Jesus has cursed is withered. Jesus responds sort of like, "Naturally it is. I cursed it. It withered. The secret to getting God to do things is faith. He can move mountains with faith. When you have faith and no doubt, he will answer prayers."

Promise: The basis of our asking things of God is to have complete faith in God.

Prayer: Lord, I want to trust you in all things. Thank you for the clear promise that we need to come to you in faith about all things, with no doubt. I admit that is hard. My faith sometimes is weak. I can trust you for a future event, but day-by-day trusting is hard for me. I must admit I feel like the disciples at times, but help my unbelief. I do want to rely on You and no my life will be better if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment