Monday, October 29, 2018

Mark 12:28-31 - The Greatest Commandments

Mark 12:28-31
28 One of the scribes came and heard them arguing, and recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him, “What commandment is the foremost of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD; 30 AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.’ 31 The second is this, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”


Message: The Greatest Commandments

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Preface - Jesus has answered his critics questions. Most recently the question was about the resurrection and what it would like to us upon resurrection in the way of marriage. We will not be married. We will have everything that we need in Christ. For God is the God of the living not the dead. His ways are always the same. He is the God of the now, not simply then. He says, "I AM" not "I was." Jesus is in Jerusalem on his way to die and then be resurrected as he has predicted 3 times.

One of the scribes came and heard them arguing - I believe they were discussing, not necessarily arguing. This one scribe comes to Jesus with a reasonable question. This scribe recognizing that He had answered them well, asked Him. So this scribe is different from the others, accepting the words of Jesus. When Jesus answers the scribes question What commandment is the foremost of all? his response is actually not real different from anything he has said previously. In fact, when He and the disciples walked back into Jerusalem and Peter saw the fig tree and that it was withered Jesus responds with a two-fold response of Have Faith in God or believe me, believe me what I say and then soon after tells them to forgive their neighbors. The message is a little different but the focus is on God, then neighbor.

This is what Jesus mentions again now in the 2 greatest commandments - Love God, Love Neighbor. That is easily the central message of our lives that really stands in contrast with any other message of this day from any religious body or group: Love God, Love Neighbor. Have Faith in God and Forgive. This is what needs to motivate my life each day. This is it.

I love that message. HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD; 30 AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH. It is interesting here. RC Sproul comments that we love God in 4 ways - with our heart, with our soul, with our mind, with our strength.

The second commandment is somehow simpler. There is a contrast in the type of love we have for God and the type of love we have for neighbor. It is a given that we love ourselves. We don't simply love our neighbor, but we do it AS YOURSELF. This is very true. We love ourselves. And this love gets greater when we realize who we are in Christ and that God loves us so much.

I was listening to a message yesterday from Tom Nelson of Denton Bible Church, an older message maybe from 10 years ago he did in Matthew and it reminded me of how rules based we are in our lives and how heart-based God is. God is most concerned about our hearts. And this message of loving God and loving neighbors begins in the heart. It can't simply be a rule will follow. But rather it is a condition of our heart. I often struggle to understand or communicate to people what living for Jesus is really about and somehow I think it is this notion that God wants to change our heart, not just change how we do a few things in our lives.

Sometimes i have difficult figuring out what sin I have broken. I get to this point at times where I don't think I've done anything bad but at its core I don't really love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. And I definitely don't love my neighbor as I do myself. What I want is often what is most important.

Summary - Jesus responds to the question from one of the scribes, a scribe that believed Jesus had responded well to the the Sadducees question. He asks for the greatest commandment and Jesus gives two commandments, thus though there are 2 they are together. We cannot truly love God without loving our neighbor and we cannot truly love our neighbor without loving God.

Promise: Love for God on account of who He is in Himself is the highest form of love that creatures can show. It is love God with all of the power that we can muster; with our mind it is studying His ways and His character as revealed in His Word; with our soul it is means loving Him passionately; with our heart it means loving God from the very root of our being.

Prayer: Lord, first of all, forgive me God for the way in which I have loved you. Each day I seek out first ways to please myself or love myself rather than loving You. Yesterday was church and I find that church is only good if it pleases me, but you remind me that it is about loving You with all that is in my being. So forgive me for thinking that I know better. I want to be in that place to Love you with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength. I admit I don't know what that looks like much of the time. Help me to know how to communicate this with others. And I want to love others the way I love myself. It's easy to have this love for my wife, but sometimes not as easy with even my kids and then those that I would call neighbors. I should be sacrificing more of myself for them. You are Savior and Lord. You are king. You are Lord of All. I want to praise You.

No comments:

Post a Comment