Friday, April 12, 2019

2 Samuel 7:1-17 - The Kingly Covenant

2 Samuel 7:1-17
Now it came about when the king lived in his house, and the Lord had given him rest on every side from all his enemies, 2 that the king said to Nathan the prophet, “See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells within tent curtains.” 3 Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your mind, for the Lord is with you.”
4 But in the same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan, saying,5 “Go and say to My servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord, “Are you the one who should build Me a house to dwell in? 6 For I have not dwelt in a house since the day I brought up the sons of Israel from Egypt, even to this day; but I have been moving about in a tent, even in a tabernacle.7 Wherever I have gone with all the sons of Israel, did I speak a word with one of the tribes of Israel, which I commanded to shepherd My people Israel, saying, ‘Why have you not built Me a house of cedar?’”’
8 “Now therefore, thus you shall say to My servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, “I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be ruler over My people Israel. 9 I have been with you wherever you have gone and have cut off all your enemies from before you; and I will make you a great name, like the names of the great men who are on the earth. 10 I will also appoint a place for My people Israel and will plant them, that they may live in their own place and not be disturbed again, nor will the wicked afflict them any more as formerly, 11 even from the day that I commanded judges to be over My people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your enemies. The Lord also declares to you that the Lord will make a house for you. 12 When your days are complete and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your descendant after you, who will come forth from you, and I will establish his kingdom.13 He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be a father to him and he will be a son to Me; when he commits iniquity, I will correct him with the rod of men and the strokes of the sons of men, 15 but My lovingkindness shall not depart from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom shall endure before Me forever; your throne shall be established forever.”’” 17 In accordance with all these words and all this vision, so Nathan spoke to David.


Message: The Kingly or Davidic Covenant

Time: Although the book does not name a specific author, the material was compiled from documents written and collected by the prophets Nathan, Gad, and Samuel. Second Samuel is set in the land of Israel during the reign of David and follows the course of his forty years as king of Israel (1011–971 BC).2 Samuel chronicles the establishment of the Davidic dynasty and the expansion of Israel under God’s chosen leader.

What the Lord is Saying:

As a read through this passage in 2 Samuel 7, I took time to look at words in this passage that speak of God providing. God makes the way or is our provider in our lives. He is active. He is working and the passage talks of Him taking over, being with us, making our name great, appointing a place for His people, giving judges over them, giving them rest, raising up descendants, establishing the throne of His kingdom, being a father, correcting him, establishing them always. Over and over I think it is noteworthy to see this type of language and be reminded of the activity of God in our lives. God provides all that we need.

This idea of God's provision I think is the essence of grace which I am currently studying and seeing first through the covenants that God has given us. Yes they often have a command from God, but first and foremost they address God's providence toward us. Grace is necessary because we have broken the law of God, transgressed, eaten from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, been removed from the garden, from the tree of life - and so this grace is needed by God. It is not that good works replaces transgression. Grace replaces transgression.

In this Davidic covenant is another example of God taking David, God providing for David, in making him king. 2 Samuel 7:8 says, Thus says the Lord of hosts, “I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be ruler over My people Israel. Samuel would anoint David to succeed Saul as Israel's King. The anointing is what we see, but the Lord was active in carrying this out. I need to be reminded in my life that accomplishment is provided by the Lord. A simple example of this is when a sports figure wins a championship or even a game or an artist wins an award, the first thing they do is thank God. They may not realize what they are doing, but I think in this achievement they are acknowledging that God is the provider, is the one that first gets the credit.

Do I even do this when someone tells me that I have done a good job? How often does this not even enter my mind. I need to thank God more for His hand of providence in granting me my heart's desire, in doing more than I need.

David is now known as a man after God's own heart and yet his heart was very often deceitful. God made him to be one that would be intimate with Him. Again, to God be the glory.

As the Lord explains further what He will do in David's life - I will be a father to him and he will be a son to Me; when he commits iniquity, I will correct him with the rod of men and the strokes of the sons of men, he also stops and in a crescendo says - but My lovingkindness shall not depart from him. God's covenant with David is permanent. His love toward David is permanent. He will be a father. He will correct him. His love will never depart from Him. This is such a significant statement. God's love for us is not based upon our doing. It is based upon His grace and mercy.

The Father disciplines us. The Lord says that David and his sons will receive correction. But the discipline from God is not aligned with God's love for us. So is this love the same as our salvation? It would seem that salvation is the recognition that God is the provider of all.

This providence of grace is clearly seen in the life of Jesus. Jesus was our visible representation of God on this earth and it is through Him and His life that we clearly see our sins wiped away. Yet, this message of providence is a continuous message throughout the Bible.

Promise: God provides for His people from beginning to end, from the days of David to Christ to today.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for this scripture and showing me so clearly the message of Grace that is central throughout the entire Bible. Thank you for this clear message that explains Your hand of providence in the life of David. I need this message and I pray that people would recognize the truth of Your ways, that you save us by Your grace and we never are meant to save ourselves. You cleanse sin. We acknowledge we are sinners and then You make us righteous. Thank you Lord.

Note: I follow the readings from the Tabletalk Magazine devotional, though I am a little behind and working through 2017 devotionals. 2017 is a study of key biblical doctrines with the April devotional being about salvation by grace alone and how the Lord never fails to save the one whom He has purposed to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment