Saturday, March 30, 2019

Deuteronomy 5:6 - The Law Covenant

Deuteronomy 5:6
I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Message: The Law Covenant

Time: This book chronicles farewell messages by Moses, the 120 year old leader of the Israelite, primarily intended for the lay person. It covers about one month, at the end of the forty-year period in the wilderness - 1405 BC. It is a renewal of the old covenant given at Mount Sinai to the plains of Moab.

What the Lord is Saying:

I am now in a series of lessons on grace and God's overall providence. God sets forth his message to save mankind. This is what we know as salvation. Inside the garden, man had everything he needed and yet man chose to disobey God, opting for something God said was off limits. Without that sin, man would live in perfect obedience, but once Adam and Eve sinned, they were thrown out of the garden and away from the tree of life. Yet, God would continue to provide for them -- all that they would need to live, but also provide them all they need for salvation. There are many covenants  - the Edenic, Adamic, Noahic, Abraham -- and all of these covenants speak of God providing. Man has been given responsibilities by God, but earning God's favor is not one of them. Instead, we are declared righteous by faith. Responsibilities or the work we do is for a wage or a result on this earth, but it is not for God's acceptance. Righteousness from God comes through faith.

In this world we now live the ruler of this world is Satan. God pledges to redeem us from this enemy - the prince of this world - Satan. On one hand, it was our choice to align ourselves with this enemy, when we ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil -- but God will continue to provide the way back to Him, as He provided His creation, our coverings, our responsibilities, all that we have. We must stay clear or the propensity we all have to think that adhering to rules or responsibilities results in acceptance. As I think of my parents' love for me, it is based upon nothing else but their desire for me. It is not based upon my works.

Today's passage - Deuteronomy 5:6 - I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery - precedes the giving of the Law which begins in verse 7 with You shall have no other gods before Me. The message should be clear. First comes the providence of God (brought you out), next comes the command (You shall...). God rescues then God asks for obedience. Thus, obedience follows grace. God does not declare that a rescue will occur upon obedience or after all that we can do, but rather his rescue is complete prior to the giving of the Law. One could say we are complete before the Law is given.

Yet, this passage addresses the Israelites as the ones he brought out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. He addresses here specifically the chosen ones - the Jews - but God makes it clear that his salvation message of rescue is open to all.

Granted, the law comes with it everlasting life, when it is lived to the full. Leviticus 18:5 - you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, by which a man may live if He does them. Yet, the Law will be broken. We cannot do all that it says. Thus, Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes (Romans 10:4). Jesus Christ ends the law. Keeping the law, the entire law yields righteousness. And only one has kept it - Jesus. Thus, He is our Savior. He is our Redeemer. He is our Salvation. He succeeds where we can not.

Promise: We trust the redeemer who has brought us out of slavery to the prince of the world. Jesus is our visible propitiation for the fulfillment of the Law. We are made righteous by faith.

Prayer: O God, you are rich in mercy and love. You have provided to me all that I need in brining me out of slavery to the king of this world. O God, the world is distracted, I am distracted all too often by this worldly king who takes us residence in this world and drives us away from you. I want to turn my eyes upon Jesus and look full in his wonderful face so that the things of this earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace. Help me to be watchful as to how I can so easily get sidetracked. Thank you for the Law and the clarity of it in helping me to see what I can do to have a fulfilling life. You show me clearly how I can trust You and do what You have said. Help me to be a light to this world I live in and to my family and everyone in my path. Be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment