Wednesday, August 17, 2022

I Timothy 4:13 - Reading Scripture in Worship

I Timothy 4:13 - Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching. 


Time: Paul is writing to a young pastor in Timothy. He is writing to Timothy in about AD 63, who is serving the church in Ephesus. He is writing about church leadership and organizing the church. Paul gives practical and pastoral advice. 

What the Lord is Saying: I think one of the things that is hard for me to reconcile sometimes is this idea that there is freedom in Christ and yet does that permit us to do anything that we believe to be glorifying to God or do we still have rules about how we are to worship. Galatians 5:1 says, "It was for freedom that Christ set us free therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a joke of slavery." And yet that freedom is contrasted from slavery and the freedom is from the law. This is the context and yet I think we often take the word freedom and apply different definitions to it. As I think about worship services and even what we do in our churches, I wonder if we take time to seriously consider the words of Scripture. It is possible that we do. This text today mentions reading of Scripture. In some churches I've been to, there has been a separate reading time of Scripture from the preaching time, but the Pastor also is able to do this, as ours does currently when he gives his message. 

These words from I Timothy about reading scripture at the time would have meant the reading of Old Testament scripture since the New Testament had not yet been completed. And yet it is possible that early versions of the Gospel writings might have been read. This was a custom that was brought forth from the Jewish Synagogue (Deuteronomy 31:10-13; 2 Chronicles 17:9). In the few times I attended a Jewish Synagogue as a kid, I remember this occurring. 

It seems that reading from Scripture is important because it highlights to the congregants the emphasis on the Bible and it helps the congregation get more acquainted with the Word of God. It also seems clear that the Word of God is meant to be read aloud. It seems that for about the first 1500 to 1600 years of the church this was the only means someone had of hearing scripture. The printing press was not around yet or was just being developed so most people heard the word rather than read it themselves. That to me is an amazing idea given that today we take it for granted that the Scriptures are so readily available. I'll never forget talking to a couple in the mall who had the Bible in their home but never read from it for they believed that was the job of the priest in the church. It was amazing to me that even after 500 years of the printing press that people were still subscribing to this type of thinking. But it is also a good reminder that scripture is meant to be read in Public. 

As a note, I've also learned that pious Jews even in Old Testament times might have had a copy of the scripture to read in their homes. 

Summary: From the earliest history of God's people, we have gathered to hear God's word read aloud. 

Promise: God works through the reading of His Word. Let us take advantage of any opportunity we have to hear God's word read to us. 

Prayer: Lord, thank you for helping me understand the importance of reading your Word aloud, as we gather together with others. I appreciate that this has been something I have seen practiced throughout my life. Scripture was read to me even before I knew how to read and it has continued in public gatherings to help emphasize to me the importance of this book. Thank you for giving me this high view of Scripture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment