Thursday, March 23, 2023

I Peter 5:1-3 - New Covenant Ordained Ministry

I Peter 5:1-3 - Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God, and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock. 


Time: Peter wrote to a group of people that probably included Jews and Christians at the time of probably AD 64, as the persecution of Christians by Nero was ramping up. It is thought Peter spent his final years in Rome. Peter calls people to root themselves in the perseverance and presence of Christ.

What the Lord is Saying: Jesus is the only mediator between us and our Creator (I Timothy 2:5 - For there is one God, one mediator also between God and men, man Christ Jesus.) There are not classes of believers, but instead all believers offer holy and acceptable service to the Lord whether the calling is full-time ministry or working in a secular context. 

Yet, we still set apart people those for leadership in the church. Like today, elders are set aside to care for and shepherd the flock. Other texts will name other leaders such as deacons (I Timothy 3:8-13). Leaders are not however more important than non-leaders of the Church. There is not greater holiness in these leaders of the church. Those with least valuable gifts and callings are as vital to those with a more recognized and public role (I Corinthians 12). 
  • The same God works all things in all persons (6).
  • All the members of the body, though they are many, are one body (12). 
  • The body is not one member, but many (14).
  • Foot, hand, ear, eye - not any is less a part of the body (15, 16)
  • One cannot say, I have no need for you (21).
  • Even those that seem to be weaker are necessary (22). 
  • Those less honorable, have more honor (23).
  • No division, but all care the same for one another (25)
  • If one suffers, all suffer. If one honored, all rejoice. (26)
Summary: Elders and deacons are set apart for specific roles. But those who are not set apart for these roles still are essential members of the church. All are vital, equally. 

Promise: Do not think you are invaluable because you are not called to the leadership roles of the church. All are valid and significant. 

Prayer: Lord, help me to understand my role. Thank you for calling me to be of the laity of the church and showing me how I can still be of service to you in an impactful way. Keep giving me understanding and enlarge my ministries. Help me to be impacted and for many others to be impacted by Your work in their life. At my current church, help me to serve and give me and my wife understanding of our roles in this body and how we are to serve. I pray that people feel cared for and heard. Help me to learn better to listen and encourage. Thank you for the peace that is only found in You. 




No comments:

Post a Comment