Monday, March 27, 2023

I Timothy 3:1-7 - The Vocation of Elder

I Timothy 3:1-7 - It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, uncontentious, free from the love of money. He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control of all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?); and not a new convert, lest he become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he may not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. 

Message: The Vocation of Elder

Time: Paul is writing to a young pastor in Timothy. He is writing to Timothy in about AD 63, who is serving the church in Ephesus. He is writing about church leadership and organizing the church. Paul gives practical and pastoral advice. 

What the Lord is Saying: For the reformers, all lawful work was a way for God to be glorified. And while no calling is greater than another, there remains different callings and different responsibilities and different requirements for those that are called. Two offices are recognized in the new Testament: Elders/Bishops and Deacons. Both are served by men only. For Elders/Bishops/Overseer, some churches distinguish between ruling elders that govern, others elders that teach. The translation today is overseer. 

I Timothy 3 describes the qualifications.  

As I read these verses, it seems these roles are restricted to males. But I recognize that in our churches today, and more noticeably in the last 20 years, these roles are often being held by women. In our society, the role of women has also changed and there is great equality put forth in our work places and work life to present the idea that these headship roles are interchangeable between men and women. I admit struggling with this. Perhaps because the Baptist church, where I have been mostly involved, does not allow this plurality. Even driving around town yesterday getting lunch, my wife and I drove by a church - Christian church, disciples of Christ, with a woman on the marquee as the minister of that church. 

It is a difficult concept or doctrine I think in our church lives. I think overall we give way to any form as long as it is reaching people for the gospel (the function of the church). And we see fruit that comes forth and so we believe therefore that because of the fruit, it must be okay or be allowed. Our Sunday school teacher brought up this at times in class, but perhaps he was speaking of coming against traditions such as Sunday only church versus Saturday, or dressing in jeans at church versus suits. So perhaps there are traditions that can be altered, but does this mean everything is to be altered. 

As I was sharing truth with someone at work last week, they brought up a problem they saw as a female in hearing that the Bible said that wives must be submissive to men. Or as she said must serve man. And yet I mentioned to her the great responsibility of the man - to love the wife. And I also mentioned, well, shouldn't two different sexes have two different roles. Otherwise, why are we made different. 

In any case, I Timothy 5:17 says, "Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching." Thus, a role of an elder could be to preach and teach. And in our previous lesson from I Peter 5:1-3 it mentions that elders "shepherd the flock, exercising oversight."

Summary: Elders/Bishops/Overseers has specific qualifications/requirements - they are men set apart from society for a specific role of shepherding the flock which may include preaching and teaching. 

Promise: For the church members, God has placed elders as authority over us and we are to follow their direction and pray for them to govern the church wisely. 

Prayer: Lord, leadership in our churches can be a difficult subject. It is a hard one for me and I admit not being comfortable with the way the world or our different churches are allowing both sexes to be involved in these leadership and preaching roles. But Lord, I also want to submit to You always and ask that You be glorified. So help me Lord in this. Guide me and guide churches. For our elders and overseers and bishops, may we honor them. Help me Lord to not be so critical of their work. I think I often get more caught up in how they are leading rather than who they are. Meaning, they have met the criteria so help me to trust them more.  Thank you for the lesson of Your Word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment