Friday, June 9, 2023

Genesis 2:15 - Finding Your Vocation

Genesis 2:15 - Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.


Time: Genesis is the first book and Moses is credited as authoring. The book spans 2400 years of time. It was originally written in Hebrew.

What the Lord is Saying: As I continue to ponder these lessons about vocation, I am reminded that God calls us to work in various fields of service. Each of us are to do the work that God calls us to without thinking one area is better than another. All are important. Romans 12:4-6 mentions that we are many members in one body and we need to discern what God has given each person to do. Not everyone is alike. "For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us.

Lately, I have come to realize more and more that God's call on everyone's life is the same. However, some people will only be pursuing their own self interests and not glorifying Him in their service. But this doesn't nullify God's purpose for people's lives. I Thessalonians 4:3 say, "For this is the will of God, your sanctification." We are one body with one distinct purpose: to glorify God and to grow in Christ. 

Yesterday, I was out walking and neighbors asked me about the vacation my wife and I had recently returned from and I described it as a great time and then as I walked away I voiced, "Back to the grind." I regret saying those words now but it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that work is a grind and an inevitable but somewhat unwelcome part of life. As the passage mentions today, God has created man to work. We have a task to do and that He has called us into. It brings meaning to our lives, but also is for our good and growth, to provide people what they need and want, and so by working we are loving our neighbor. Even in Revelation 22:3 it mentions that in the new heavens and earth, we will continue to be servants of Him - "There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him." So I need not be dull of work or think it is a grudge or an inconvenience and that I am simply working for the weekend. 

Work can be difficult but this does not mean that since it is difficult that it is work that I should not be doing. I Timothy 5:8 reminds me that the work I do is to provide for my own needs. "But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

Summary: God gifts us to work in a certain way, for our good and for the good of others in loving them. 

Promise: We need to find work that is sanctioned by God's word and for which we are gifted. We only have to ask ourselves what we like to do and how we can provide for ourselves and our families while doing it. 

Prayer: Lord, you are good and gracious and it is wonderful to see how our work takes care of our needs, but also glorifies You in the process, helps others, and in turn, loves our neighbors. Help me to remember this and forgive me thinking it is a grudge or a life inconvenience. I know many times I have thought if I had a lot of money, I would not need to work, but I need to remember that the money you provide is not only for me, but to help those in need. Keep me reminded of this. Many are living in difficult situations and I could assist them, though it is hard. Give me discernment in doing this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment