Sunday, June 18, 2023

Psalm 105:3 - God's Glory and Our Joy

Psalm 105:3 - Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad.


Time: Psalms, a collection of lyrical poems, with multiple authors. David wrote 73 Psalms, though for 50 or so the author is unknown. Psalms means songs of praise. The writings span 1,000 years. They encourage us to praise God, illuminate the greatness of God, affirm His faithfulness in times of trouble, and remind us of the absolute centrality of His word. 

What the Lord is Saying: I have studied thus far in these lessons that the highest aim of life is the Glory of God. Everything God does is for His own glory and we are to seek His glory therefore in all we do as His servants. His glory is seen as bright, shining brightly, light. There is a divine beauty inherent in His glory that God shines on us, clothing us in perfect righteousness. His Glory is what we are to value above all else. There is holiness and purity and light in His holiness and this is seen in Jesus as well, the Light of the World, our Redeemer. And God is in control, establishing control and His glory over all. 

And as we deflect away from us and onto the Lord, to Glory in His name, this focus and emphasis in our life will bring us gladness and joy. That is the message of today. Glory in His name....be glad. As Jonathan Edwards stated in his book, "The End for which God Created the World" by the Lord seeking to display the fulness of His glory, the Lord is at the same time seeking our joy. 

I must admit that most of my days I get wrapped up in my own joy, pleasing myself, finding happiness in each day. At the moment, and for most of my marriage, my joy is in my wife - seeing her, watching her find joy, providing for our kids, spending time with her. But I also know that as I spend time daily with the Lord, getting to know Him and then also serving those He puts in my contact, that idea of helping people gives me joy. Even at work, the notion of helping people gives me joy. So in many ways to be a servant of others is what brings me joy. I suppose I like to think that since all of this is God's creation that it is also the joy of the Lord. But, Glory, God's glory and praising Him with my life, I am fairly sure this hasn't always been my highest aim. And yet as I read these words, it tells me that it is God's aim. In us living in a way that gives Him glory, it will bring in us joy. 

All that I do in my life is in accordance with His will. And so maybe I am doing this, as I pray - Lord, be glorified in everything I say, in everything I do. But I think my focus needs to be more on God's getting the Glory. For instance, it is important I think to go to church, assemble with other believers and sing songs in our churches, praising our God. In this, we are giving God glory. We are setting aside ourselves and praising His name. Also at church we are setting aside our own goals for the goal of assembling together to read and study God's word. With a desire to know Him and His Word, we are giving Glory to God. And I see now that even in listening to music that honors Him, reading books that honor Him, in all of these things I am giving glory to God. And what is being said today is God's glory brings me gladness. 

And so denying ourselves, while we think this is something great, that we are having to put down what is important to us or relegate it, what God is saying to us is that what I am asking you to trade will actually bring you greater joy and will make you glad. Our greatest joy will be found when we glorify God. 

Summary: Our greatest joy will be found when we glorify God. 

Promise: Only the redeemed, in the presence of the glory of God, will enjoy the fullest human joy possible. 

Prayer: Lord God, you are good. Help me to trade my ideals and goals for the goal of praising You and giving Glory to Your name always. Keep changing me Lord and my focus so that you get the Glory. And not only in my life, but all lives. And there is already glory in what you have done in creating all that we see. You are the bright light, the eternal God who is in control of all, the light of this world, in divine beauty, shining brightly on us, to give us in the process Joy as we glorify Your name. Keep me on that road and keep me involved in ways that Give you Glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment