Friday, July 14, 2023

John 1:29-34 - John the Baptist Bears Witness to Christ

John 1:29-34
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is He on behalf of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’ 31 I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water.” 32 John testified saying, “I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. 33 I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)."

What the Lord is Saying: Still thinking about yesterday's lesson. It was kind of a hard one for me in thinking about John. The idea of him being a forerunner and helping others understand Jesus makes sense, but baptism is mentioned and for some reason this seems puzzling to me, but not sure if it should. Hard to find much written on this in commentaries. 

Up to this point, John is mentioned apart from Jesus, but now in verse 29 it states that Jesus came to him. John clearly has an understanding of Jesus that is unique and special. He has a special revelation of him. For the first time in this chapter, the name of Jesus is mentioned. And more clarity is given of this man, who up to this point is Word, Light, Him, One, and is now the Lamb of God. He is the one who takes away the sin of the world. He existed before John. The Spirit remains on Him. This is the Son of God. These are proclamations John is making to others. He is testifying of Jesus. This is his role continuously and that is to speak of Jesus. 

This statement, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!" may be misunderstood. It seems obvious or understood that Jesus does not take away everyone's sin which would result in no one being held responsible for being a sinner. But Jesus is the only one who can take away sin. And so this proclamation that John is making is that Jesus, the Lamb of God, is the one who will take away people's sin, but still as stated earlier in verse 11 and 12, "He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." The idea here is that not all will believe in Him. Not all will believe in the Lamb of God. John is baptizing those that want to be baptized and want to place their trust in Christ. And so this is a great example of how weed to te nhink about the context of passages as we read them. Passages in the Bible do not stand alone. They must be read in concert with other passages. 

Since Jesus "takes away the sin of the world" we can be clear that everyone in the world is who he includes. For many of this day they have thought the gospel was reserved for Jews, but while the Jewish people have been called, Gentiles I believe have always been able throughout history to know God and be grafted in to a relationship with Him. But John does make it clear here that Jesus, as the lamb of God, atones for everyone - rich, poor, servants, men, women, Asians, Americans, Africans, Europeans -- all people everywhere. There is no distinction. 

Also of note is verse 31 when John says, "I did not recognize Him." This actually sheds a lot of light on the situation and tells me that John's knowledge of Jesus and His mission was through special revelation or divine revelation. Albert Barnes states that John had lived in the hill country of Judea and Jesus in Nazareth and before being baptized they had not seen each other. "I did not recognize Him" is repeated again upon Jesus being baptized. And perhaps it is the Holy Spirit that speaks to John to inform him as the Spirit today also speaks to me to inform me about Jesus and who He is and His ways and how I can know him better. And it is probably the Spirit that lets him know that this is the Son of God. John heard this and testified of it. Matthew 3:17, "and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.”

Verse 31 also states, "He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water." Jesus was to be manifested to Israel, to the Jews. 

Summary: John, upon seeing Jesus, perhaps for the first time, testifies that He is the Son of God. 

Promise: From Tabletalk - John the Baptist needed a special revelation from God to know who Jesus was, and this parallels the illumination that all sinners need if they are to see Jesus as Savior and believe in Him.

Prayer: O Heavenly Father, you spoke through Your spirit to reveal Your son to John and you speak to me daily to reveal more truth to me. I thank You and praise You for Your great love and the testimony of who You are. Please, keep giving me understanding of You. 





No comments:

Post a Comment