Thursday, July 25, 2024

John 18:12-18 - Taken to the High Priest

John 18:12-18
12 So the [Roman] cohort, and the commander, and the officers of the Jews, arrested Jesus and bound him, 13 and led Him to Annas first; for he was father-in-law of Caiaphas, who was high priest that year. 14 Now Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it was expedient for one man to die on behalf of the people. 15 And Simon Peter was following Jesus, and [so] was another disciple. Now that disciple was known to the high priest, and entered with Jesus into the court of the high priest, 16 but Peter was standing at the door outside. So the other disciple, who was known to the high priest, went out and spoke to the doorkeeper, and brought in Peter. 17 The slave-girl therefore who kept the door said to Peter, "you are not also [one] of this man's disciples, are you? He said, "I am not." 18 Now the slaves and the officers were standing [there], having made a charcoal fire, for it was cold and they were warming themselves, and Peter also was with them, standing and warming himself. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: Jesus heads to a garden and Judas leads Roman/Jewish officials to Jesus in the garden, then they fall down to the ground and Jesus surrenders to be arrested. Peter thinks he is coming to Jesus' rescue, though most likely outnumbered, in pulling out his dagger to cut off a high priest's servants ear, but Jesus tells him to back down, as He is to drink the Cup (of wrath) the Father has for him. 

Now the description of Jesus' formal arrest occurs. He is taken to Annas, father-in-law to Caiaphas, the high priest at that time. Annas however was high priest prior and as the patriarch of the priestly family, probably was seen by many as still holding the title. Caiaphas had emphasized that Jesus should die. Peter followed along with another disciple (probably John because entrance to the courtyard signified wealth and John had it from his family).  But given the opportunity he denied being a disciple. Peter made out to be one of the boys, warming himself with the high priests at the fire. And yet this denial was predicted by Jesus, reminding us that Jesus knows all things. 

I am not sure I see much else from this passage really. 

Summary: Jesus is taken to Annas, but it seem Caiaphas really conducts the arrest proceedings. Peter and John follow though Peter denies being a follower of Jesus. 

Promise: I trust in Jesus for He knows what is ahead of me, but I remain responsible and choose wisely. 

Prayer: Lord, as I think of this passage and your arrest for my sins that You will pay for. I hope that I will not be one of the crowd, denying you when given the opportunity. I ask that I would have the courage to stand up for what I believe and announce You before others and yet I know many times I have not. And sometimes hide, but I pray for boldness and that I would display to others the person I am with You and the one You have called me to be. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.


No comments:

Post a Comment