Thursday, August 8, 2024

John 18:37-38a - Pilate's Cynicism

John 18:37-38a 
37 Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” 38 Pilate said to Him, “What is truth?”


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: Preface - Jesus heads to a garden and Judas leads Roman/Jewish officials to Jesus in the garden; Jesus surrenders to be arrested. Peter thinks he is coming to Jesus' rescue, though most likely outnumbered, pulling out his dagger to cut off a high priest's servants ear, but Jesus tells him to back down, as He is to drink the Cup (of wrath) the Father has for him. Jesus is taken to Annas, but it seems Caiaphas really conducts the arrest proceedings. Peter and John follow though Peter denies being a follower of Jesus. Jesus is accused by Annas regarding his impact, answers that Annas should ask those that have been impacted, but Jesus is then sent to Caiaphas bound. Peter was questioned two more times about his association with Jesus and two more times Peter denies being a disciple of Jesus. The high priests take Jesus to Pilate, but Pilate puts it back on the Jews but they mention they are not permitted to put anyone to death. Jesus responds to his accusers, spoken from Pilate, that His kingdom is not of this world and He is not here to overthrow a government. 

Pilate now moves in his conversation to Jesus a little more tongue in cheek, not believing what Jesus is saying, but speaking to him like he's a madman. Are you a king? What is truth? Pilate had previously questioned Jesus in response to the accusations by the Jewish leaders. Jesus mentioned previously about being a king, yes, but not of this world. Pilate tries to get this clarified further from Jesus. Jesus in his response basically tries to explain matter-of-fact to Pilate that before one will acknowledge Him as King they must believe in Him. Jesus speaks radical words -- "I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."

Jesus has entered this world. He is not of this world, but he has come into the world. His purpose is to testify to the truth - the truth of salvation, eternal life, his authority as one sent from the Father, the living water, bread of life, to be born again - to charge His disciples to preach the same. For those that are of the truth, they will Hear His voice. So not everyone. Not everyone has Jesus as King. He is not a king to everyone. He is showing who belongs to Him and who does not and for those that belong to Him He will be their king. 

This is the truth today. And honestly can be difficult at times in speaking to people. There are people I speak with that are not of the truth and it seems clear for those that are not, they are not living their lives by God's standard, by truth, but instead continue to live it according to their way. Some have some semblance of God, but not completely. They must be regenerated or reborn or be new creatures, but they are not. They must be given new hearts, but they don't have it. This is hard to witness, to be around, to see. We are looking for those that will come to know the truth and let it change them. Pilate was not of the truth. For after this he asks, "What is truth?" 

Many people are like Pilate - seeking an answer to a question, but not seeking the Answer. They are pragmatic. They want to check the box, but they don't want the complete transformation. I have a man right now that can't see past his current situation. Sometimes this happens in life. It gets all consuming and we can't see anything else. Oh if we could see the Truth. 

Other verses
Buy truth, and do not sell it, Get wisdom and instruction and understanding.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭23‬:‭23‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬
- interesting verse - basically we are to be about truth, wisdom, instruction, understanding. Jesus is the Truth. 

O Lord, do not Your eyes look for truth? You have smitten them, But they did not weaken; You have consumed them, But they refused to take correction. They have made their faces harder than rock; They have refused to repent.
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭5‬:‭3‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬
- Jeremiah 5 is Jeremiah searching for a righteous person but in Judah not finding one. The chapter shows the craftiness of man to avoid God, pretending to align with him, but refusing correction and repentance. Like Pilate Jesus shows people the right way, but some refuse to change. 

and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.”
‭‭2 Thessalonians‬ ‭2‬:‭10‬-‭12‬ ‭NASB1995
- The events preceding the Day of the Lord. People refuse to believe. They don't receive the truth to be be saved. And so God proceeds to allow them to believe the false. The reality is some will not turn from Him and God is in control of this for they continue to not want Him. ‬‬

I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.”
‭‭3 John‬ ‭1‬:‭4‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Summary: Jesus came to testify of truth, to be about truth. This is what God is looking for in people - a people that walk in the Truth of Jesus. 

Promise: I am called to stand for truth, in matters great and small. 

Prayer: Lord, it is compelling to read Your words, to experience You - The Truth. I am to walk in this truth daily. Keep correcting me and moving me to be about this truth so that others see it in me. Help me in my relationships, at work, at home with my wife, with my children, at church, with my dad, with friends and people I am challenging to walk in Truth. Give me patience and give me grace in all of this. It can be a toil but I want to also experience rest. This world is imperfect and it is hard. I hurt for people that struggle through these truths. Thank You Jesus for showing me the Way. Keep me strong and running the race, not losing sight of the goal and the Prize. Keep me humble. Keep me loving. Help me now for this weekend and possible time of refreshment. I pray for the Pilate's of this world. Give me wisdom with them, not letting them get me down. But simply responding in a way that glorifies You. I would love to see them change but help me to not get too focused on that. Keep me under your wings. O God, I need you. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.



No comments:

Post a Comment