Friday, August 30, 2024

John 19:23-24 - Jesus' Garments Divided

John 19:23-24
23 The soldiers therefore, when they had crucified Jesus, took His outer garments and made four parts, a part to every soldier and also the tunic; now the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece. 24 They said therefore to one another, “Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, to decide whose it shall be”; that the Scripture might be fulfilled, “THEY DIVIDED MY OUTER GARMENTS AMONG THEM, AND FOR MY CLOTHING THEY CAST LOTS.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: At any crucifixion, the soldiers carrying out the execution had rights to the accused's clothing. In this case, the soldiers cast lots to determine how to divide our Lord's garments. This was a seemingly random event, but something also customary. In our gospel though it is mentioned and attention is brought forward to us to consider. 

This passage fulfilled a scripture from Psalm 22. In looking at that Psalm it contains language in 31 verses of a cry to God of anguish and pain. In a book I have, "Exploring the Psalms" by John Phillips, copyright 1985 he mentions that the event which resulted in these words is not apparent. Whatever it was, he describes a situation graphically, "He was pinned to one spot, his enemies gathered all around, deprived of his clothing, subjected to at least one form of torture (for his hands and feet have been wounded), absolutely friendless. Somewhere in the background were many friends but even so his enemies were many and strong, his sufferings prolonged, and his mental and spiritual anguish intense. His chief pain, however, lay in the fact that God seemingly had abandoned him." It is Psalm written 1,000 years before the crucifixion of Jesus and yet it captures the feelings that Jesus must have felt at the cross. 

Yet, in all of the words from this Psalm:
  • why have You forsaken me? 
  • I cry by day, but You do not answer; 
  • despised by the people. 
  • Be not far from me, for trouble is near; 
  • all my bones are out of joint
Instead, what is referenced here in John is verse 18 of Psalm 22 - "They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots." 

Perhaps what John wants us to see here is despite the greatest event in history happening here before many, the death of our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ - in the midst of it were soldiers that didn't see anything significant about the event but were treating it like anything else. And then were focused on Jesus' clothing and who gets what, deciding to cast lots to determine who gets what. 

It is a reminder of what happens every Sunday. So many in our world go on with their lives while only a remnant gathers to worship God and learn from Him at church. Each day I arise early to have my time with God in His word or try to do this each day - and yet I know this practice is not held by many. Most of us simply carry on their lives, engrossed in their desires and their wants and events and focused on providing for their own needs. 

For the soldiers they were missing something right in front of them. They failed to see the significance of that moment. Instead, they were going on with their lives. 

Summary: The soldiers, like they do at any crucifixion, take Jesus' garments and divide them for their own use, casting lots, but this too fulfills scripture from Psalm 22:18. 

Promise: Christ was stripped of His clothing, that we might be clothed with the righteousness of Christ.

Prayer: Help me God to not miss what you are doing. I too often am so focused with my day and what I am going through and wanting to accomplish that I miss out on what You have right before my eyes. Wake me up and help me to find significance in what you have for me - be it at church worshiping you and listening to a sermon or in a class or whenever I am in. Help me to focus on the moment that You have before me, even with my wife as she shares her day. And help us Lord to be focused on praying. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.

No comments:

Post a Comment