Monday, December 4, 2017

Mark 1:12-13 - Tempted in the Wilderness

Mark 1:12-13
12 Immediately the Spirit impelled Him to go out into the wilderness.13 And He was in the wilderness forty days being tempted by Satan; and He was with the wild beasts, and the angels were ministering to Him.

Message: Tempted in the Wilderness

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word immediately used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Immediately after being baptized the Spirit impelled or drove Him to go out in the wilderness. It wasn't that Jesus didn't want to go there, but he was led by the Spirit. This expresses to me the work of the Spirit not only in Jesus' life, but also in my life. Mark uses a stronger word than Matthew and Luke. But, the idea is the Spirit led Him. I think it could probably be described many times in my own life that the Spirit has led me. In the mall there were times when the Spirit did indeed led my friend and to specific people. As I looked previously in verse 8 about being baptized by the Spirit, I saw that the Spirit convicts people of sin, enlightens and teaches, comforts in the absence of Jesus, and changes hearts. The Spirit is present in my life. As I train myself daily for Godliness (I Timothy 4:7), the Spirit leads me and directs me to paths I need to take.

Here, Jesus is taken into the wilderness And He was in the wilderness for forty days being tempted by Satan. 
  • Israel was tempted for 40 years in the same wilderness (Deuteronomy 8:1-2)
  • Moses, the representative of Israel, spent 40 days on Mount Sinai at a critical point in his ministry (Exodus 24:15-18)
  • Elijah, a representative old covenant prophet, stayed 40 days in the wilderness (I Kings 19:1-8)
Thus, Jesus' time in the wilderness, 40 days, is a parallel to the history of Israel.

Jesus was tempted by Satan. It is interesting that Mark is brief in his description of this temptation. Matthew gives us much more detail. While Mark is brief, he must have been intentional. He mentions that Jesus was with the wild beasts and the angels were ministering to him. Thus, it was Satan tempting with wild beasts and the angels were present. It could be that he had left Nazareth for the first time when he came to be baptized and now he was being tempted with wild beasts. He was in an unfamiliar place. His senses were being assaulted from every dimension. Yet, he was not alone. God provided angels to minister to him.

These verses, in a simple manner, are a reminder that even in the midst of temptation, God is there and we don't go it alone. We have help. There is a temptation to provide all of the details of the other gospels, but I somewhat want to understand Mark's telling, almost as if I don't have the other descriptions from the other gospels. Just looking at this from Mark, the Spirit led, Satan tempted, the angels ministered. To me, it is a great reminder that despite the temptations and wild beasts, the angels ministered to Jesus. It could have been that the temptation period lasted for a period, with wild beasts present, and afterwards, recovery occurred by the angels ministering to him.

Promise: In this description there is no mention of sin. There is no mention of failure. The specifics, maybe are not necessary. It was clearly difficult, but I think Mark wants to show that Jesus is not alone. He is led and the angels minister to him. God provides everything he needed in this difficult circumstance.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the brief description that Mark provides that actually still has an abundance of information. You Lord are present. You provide me what I need in difficult circumstances as you provided Jesus' what he needs. Remind me more of this. Always remind me that I am not alone through life's difficulties. Please remind my children of this as well. More and more I hear of people needing substances, such as drugs of different types, to deal with the anxieties present in this world. But, Lord you are there. Help them to surrender to you, and may the Spirit of God be present in their lives and the angels be active in ministering to them, helping them stay afoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment