Thursday, December 21, 2017

Mark 3:1-6 - The Pharisees' Hard Hearts

Mark 3:1-6
1 He entered again into a synagogue; and a man was there whose hand was withered. 2 They were watching Him to see if He would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him. 3 He said to the man with the withered hand, “Get up and come forward!” 4 And He said to them, “Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to kill?” But they kept silent. 5 After looking around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored. 6 The Pharisees went out and immediately began conspiring with the Herodians against Him, as to how they might destroy Him.

Message: The Pharisees' Hard Hearts

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Jesus and the Sabbath. I didn't realize how much air time this subject got in the Gospels and specifically here in the Gospel of Mark. Jesus has already commented that his disciples picking grain on the Sabbath wasn't an offense. The Sabbath was made for man, to provide rest, and yet if there is a need, it is okay for someone to do a little work. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath meaning he has complete authority over this day. Now in Mark 3, I read that Jesus enters the synagogue once again. He started in the Synagogue in Capernaum in the heart of the city before deciding he should get away to the smaller cities, as he didn't want to be found out by the masses and be called out prior to his time. He knew that his mission of being the Messiah would unnerve many.

Jesus has already healed on the Sabbath. And on this day he heals again. Perhaps the message that Mark is taking a moment to present and for all to consider is the stubbornness of those who have been presented with a message and yet continue to ignore it. It says in verse 6 The Pharisees went out and immediately began conspiring with the Herodians against Him, as to how they might destroy Him. And before this already saw their true colors in verse 5 After looking around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart. 

I think this is a reminder that many people simply have a hardness of heart and despite the evidence giving them, they will not change. These Pharisees were that way and they didn't simply hear of Jesus, but had first hand evidence of Him. I'm always reminded of the words of Roy Holt at Tijeras when I gave a message about reaching out to people and he wondered why I was spending so hard trying to get certain people (JW's, Mormons) to come around to the gospel when they clearly had a hardness of heart. Those words have always stuck with me. Roy went on to be with the Lord probably 15 years ago. But, I'm still always reminded that perhaps my time needs to be spent on other things. Prayer needs to continue but people like Derek in London clearly have a hardness of heart and an unwillingness to even consider something else, so it does not seem necessary to continue to try to persuade him. Those are just a few examples from my life. It is sad, but it is true. And the work of the Gospel still must continue.

Promise: Let us pray for the Lord to give us soft hearts and the willingness to obey Him even when it violates traditions found in the Bible.

Prayer: Lord, I'm always amazed that you have saved me. As you have me converse with people in my life, direct me to those that have a desire for you. If there are those, after much talk, continue to deny you, center me on praying rather than conversing and spending my time on this. Thank you for working in people's lives and my confident remains in you to draw people to yourself. People like my son, who desperately needs you, but right now is not listening. Use people beyond me to draw him to you. I pray that he would start looking. Thank you for your great love for all.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Brother for Sharing,It give encoueaged to preached the Gospel eagerly.I will pray for Derek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brother for Sharing,It give encoueaged to preached the Gospel eagerly.I will pray for Derek.

    ReplyDelete