Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Mark 2:27 - The Purpose of the Sabbath

Mark 2:27
Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
Meaning: The Purpose of the Sabbath

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

As I have said, Jesus is teaching here in these verses, and telling his people, his followers, even us today lessons. It is interesting what he is teaching and what Mark is communicating. Thus far, the theme I have seen is that Jesus is letting us know that His message is new, different, unconventional and he is expressing overall our need to turn to Him and embrace Him and trust what he is saying. Along the way, it is the Pharisees or those that are known to be religious that are asking the questions. Yesterday, the issue was harvesting for grain on the Sabbath or doing any work on the Sabbath and once again the point is not that it's not good to take a rest, but if there is a need, breaking a code of conduct will not separate man from God. We are not asked to follow a set of rules, but we are called to follow Christ.

Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." In Jesus' day, in our day, we tend to look at the religious men, the pastors and teachers and hold them high on a pedestal as the pious men of our day. In Jesus' day and today, the orthodox Jewish people not only say that no work can be done on the Sabbath (recently, I've noticed 7th day Adventists also follow a similar code), but they make a very complete list of what constitutes work - from turning on the air conditioner to driving a car to preparing a meal. For the pharisees tying or untying knots or writing more than one letter of the alphabet were defined as labor that would break the Sabbath commandment.

I admit that often I am a hot or cold person that sometimes lives in extremes. I over-analyze application sometimes and in so doing miss the principle and get too focused on the practice or what should not be practiced. I've always struggled with concepts and understanding them and instead side on actionable items. And this was the problem often with religious zealots in that they over-looked the principle and became more obsessed with what constitutes labor or work on the Sabbath. They lived in fear of perhaps doing something wrong. Like yesterday, obviously a person should not spend their entire Sabbath continuing to harvest the field, but if they had a need for nourishment, was their a problem with picking a little grain. The concept was yes, we need to rest from our labor and trust God, but that doesn't mean necessarily that we can't do anything that constitutes work.

Thus, this could be what Jesus meant when he said The Sabbath was meant for man. God gave us the Sabbath so that we could rest. Rest is easy to understand today because we have so many opportunities to rest and we can rest very easily. In fact, we often rest every evening and then for bulks of time on the weekend. But, in Jesus' day rest was not possible for to survive you had to be always working. But God knew the importance of rest and so he instituted a day for it. The principle was that we need to remember to take it easy. As a person, I don't often take off a full day only because resting happens throughout each day often. Thus, it is not the purpose of the Sabbath to then make a list of what constitutes work and what doesn't. To me, that falls into legalism.

Promise: I am to love the Law of God. But, if it becomes fear or their is concern too much in its breaking, then I miss the point. The reality is obedience to the law is never completely possible. So failure will occur so I need to be more focused on what God is teaching me through the commandments versus getting obsessed with obedience to every detail of it that I conjure up.

Prayer: Lord, thank your for this lesson. I admit being a person that gets bogged down in the details, out of fear that perhaps what I'm doing is breaking the law. Help me to realize why you gave us rules and that I will never be completely obedient to those rules so why do I work so hard to make sure I am. You know me better than I know myself. Teach me to trust you. And help me as a Father, as I relate to my children and teach them that I help them see the principle and don't get too caught up in details.


No comments:

Post a Comment