Monday, December 18, 2017

Mark 2:23-26 - Picking Grain on the Sabbath

Mark 2:23-26
23 And it happened that He was passing through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads of grain. 24 The Pharisees were saying to Him, “Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?” 25 And He said to them, “Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry; 26 how he entered the house of God in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated bread, which is not lawful for anyone to eat except the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him?”
Message: Picking Grain on the Sabbath

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying: 

Recently, the readings from Mark have been it seems to prove a point, basically that Jesus comes with a new message and this message is different from the ritual thinking of the past, so choose Christ. As these occur, Mark is often offering questions from the Pharisees or scribes as they tend to be the holders of all things that are traditional in thought in these cities. Today is no different. The issue today is doing work on the Sabbath.

In my lifetime, having grown up in the 70s, I've seen the Sabbath day change. Granted, for the Jew Sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, but for me Sabbath has always been Sunday, the day of church. I remember shopping centers and most stores being closed on Sunday but then in the 80s and beyond they began to open and now in the last 20 years church has become much more optional in people's lives which means that Sunday is just another day for many.

But this is a different issue i think. I am talking about a day of rest and Jesus is here pointing out not so much an issue of working on the Sabbath day but I think he is talking more about doing some different from the traditions that have been set up that mark religious piety. Thus, it is a continued conversation about that issue talked about prior in regards to providing forgiveness of sins, not simply healing, and the issue of fasting all the time, versus specific times and for the disciples maybe its not even needed since Jesus is present in their lives and then also the issue of wine skins to express that Jesus once again is doing a new thing. And this Jesus thing even transcends the thinking that one can't work on the Sabbath. I'm not sure if the message is that there is freedom in Christ, though there is obviously. And I'm not sure the focus is that one can't do any work on the Sabbath. To me, it is more of an issue that Jesus and his message transcends all of life and as Paul will mention often in Romans as he speaks to circumcision and caretakers of the law, while Jesus isn't saying those things aren't important, but he is saying that Jesus has brought a new message and salvation is through personal acknowledgment of sin, repentance and believing and following God's Messiah - Jesus. So its not so much what we do but who we are following. And as we get our focus off of works or rituals or duty and instead onto Jesus there is grace. We still need to have a sabbath. We still need to fast from our idols. We still need to drink from our wine skins, but we also need to evaluate life and figure out if we are doing things in order to earn God's acceptance by doing those things or if we are really following Jesus and letting him define our world.

Even my reading of the scripture daily, it can become an idol or something that I feel like I must do. In a way it is, but my real aim is staying focused on learning from Jesus each day and the benefit of living my life in learning of Him. My goal is obedience and following him all my days. So it doesn't then give me the freedom to just sit and watch TV, or go to movies, or view whatever I want from my phone, or work instead of ministry or not attend church or avoid the Lord's Supper or working every day and never resting. Those things are still important in my life but I do them not to earn piety or favoritism from God, but more out of worship. Sometimes I will be faithful, sometimes I may miss the boat, but through it all Jesus acceptance and love for me does not change. So, I can pick grain on the Sabbath, though I may end up spending most of my life not picking grain. But, I can do it and it won't affect my salvation because I already believe.

Promise: I need to focus on Jesus in my everyday life and following him, not simply thinking that following rules or tradition merits God's acceptance. It is Jesus everyday.

Prayer: Lord, keep changing my thinking and conforming it to the message of the gospel. Thank you for reminding me that life is about following you and being in relationship with you. You transcend all of life. Practicing my faith is important, but not if it because a checklist item that I must meet to be spiritual. Instead, help me to be pure in my motives so that practicing my faith becomes something I must do to follow you. Let it be worship. It is worship to spend time with you each day. It is worship to attend church and be in fellowship. Thank you Lord for reminding me of how you transcend life.


No comments:

Post a Comment