Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Mark 2:28 - Lord of the Sabbath

Mark 2:28
So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

Message: Lord of the Sabbath

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying: Mark has taken his time to explain the Sabbath over the last 3 days of verses. He mentioned that, if necessary, a person can harvest grain on a Sabbath day if that person is in need. Work can be done on the Sabbath. The Sabbath day has been made for man. We are to focus on the principles and look to the reasons for God's commandments and not get obsessed with the carrying out of them to the point that we get bogged down in the details and forget why they are there. Often times, we think there are no exceptions to rules. Rules are there for a reason, often to protect us. For the Sabbath, we need a day of rest, but often one makes the commandments more precise and expansive than the Lord has, and can even treat the law as merely a list of do's and don'ts by which to then measure one's piety. Piety is a man-made emphasis. God isn't looking for pious people.

On a different note, as I read the Gospels, and specifically study Mark, I am looking for clues that Jesus spoke of his deity. How is he more than a man? Many faiths do not state that he is God. It is true that Jesus does not come out explicitly and say, "I am God" but are there ways in which he spoke and did things that are things only God can do. For instance, he has already said that he forgives sins. He did this with the paralyzed man that was brought to him by the faith of his friends. Today, he asserts that he is the Son of Man and the Lord of the Sabbath.

From Tabletalk:
God created the Sabbath and by His law determines what men and women may and may not do on the day of rest. By taking that prerogative for Himself, Jesus identifies Himself as the Lord and Maker of all things. 
Jesus was very subtle in his speaking. He refers to himself often as the Son of Man. Son of Man is what we all are, in that we have a human origin, as being sons of a human father. But, Son of Man was also referenced in Daniel 7, as referring to an exalted figure. So, even in this passage he states he is a son of man, but also he is Lord of the Sabbath. So here Jesus is communicating he is fully man, but also fully God. He is more than just a man.

Promise: He is the Son of Man. He is Lord of the Sabbath. He has authority over the Sabbath. Though man, he is more than just a man.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for the way you spoke. Thank you for describing yourself the way you have. I pray that you would give me greater understanding of you, so that you will help me defend my faith in You and express to others what I believe based upon your word. Give me the words to say and help me to be bold in my words. Draw people to yourself, as this is what I want to see. I praise You. Help me to rest and take that time to rest. Sometimes it will be during the week as well and sometimes I will need a day and sometimes you will need to get my attention by me being sick, like it has happened recently. I want to honor you with all of my life, all of the time. Forgive me for my weakness.


No comments:

Post a Comment