Monday, January 8, 2018

Mark 3:31-35 - The True Family of Jesus

Mark 3:31-35
31 Then His mother and His brothers arrived, and standing outside they sent word to Him and called Him. 32 A crowd was sitting around Him, and they said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are outside looking for You.” 33 Answering them, He said, “Who are My mother and My brothers?” 34 Looking about at those who were sitting around Him, He said, “Behold My mother and My brothers! 35 For whoever does the will of God, he is My brother and sister and mother.”

Message: The True Family of Jesus

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

As I conclude Chapter 3, this chapter has taken me a little longer. I've had some days off and haven't swept through it concurrently like I did chapter 1 and 2.

vs. 1-6 - The Pharisees' Hardness of Heart - Jesus healed on the Sabbath; despite the evidence some will not believe and are firm in their perspectives and traditions.
vs. 7-10 - Tares among the Wheat - Jesus was popular because of his healings, but he seemed to also have a greater purpose and expected followers to more about ministry than simply being healed.
vs. 11-12 - Superior not Equal - Jesus is the Son of God and we need to fear Satan.
vs. 13-15 - Twelve Apostles - Jesus appointed 12 with his same authority
vs. 16-19 - Who were the Twelve? - Diverse men, but united
vs. 20-21 - Jesus and His Family - Even his family was not clear on his mission, but had personal motives of wanting to protect him. Still we are to love them.
vs. 22-26 - A House Divided - The Scribes accuse Jesus of being of Satan, but Satan cannot cast out Satan; Jesus and his authority is needed; we need something different to intervene.
vs. 27 - Binding the Strong Man - Jesus frees people from the grasp of Satan when he saves them; only Jesus saves and only Jesus can save and change hearts.
vs. 28-30 - Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit - This is not one sin, but many sins over a period of time. If you are concerned about committing the sin, you are probably not in danger.

Thus, this chapter has been focused on remembering that Jesus has a mission to preach the gospel of faith and repentance. Jesus is the Son of God and Savior and he is the one that changes hearts. Some will misunderstand Him, even those that are closest to Him, by blood relation. But, he has a mission that must be fulfilled and there is a time for fulfillment. He calls people of all backgrounds to follow Him. Sins will be forgiven, but not the consistent sin of unbelief. Jesus and his authority over all is needed in this life.

Now I look at vs. 31-35 and the True Family of Jesus. As I have learned previously in this chapter, sometimes his family misunderstands his mission. Jesus was a great family man and there is a way a family relates to one another that is unique and this is mentioned in verse 20-21 for his family did love him and want to protect him, but Jesus here is clear, that Jesus has a closeness to His followers that can be as close as He is to His family.

What is the key? Following him and doing the will of God. He affords people the same community of closeness when they do the will of God. And he is called the Son of God. It seems reasonable that Jesus mentions this because of his closeness to God as God.

Promise: If we live like he lives then he sees us as His, as having the same blood relation to Him as anyone else in his family.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for loving me with a supernatural love. I pray that I can be a follower of You all the days of my life and seek to do your will. Thank you for grafting me into your family and seeing me as a member of the family of God.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, I’ve been reading your Jesus Calling blogs for months. And as I type in Jesus calling January 1 etc it always brings me to your page dated 2013. The year didn’t bother me, until I found by clicking around on the link, a study devotion presently in 2018. This is so exciting because I have longed to devote more than my usual 10 minutes a day with Jesus. But just haven’t found a daily study system and now I have. I am so grateful. I read the post on this day from 5 years ago, again because I wasn’t able to read your current blog- you had just been encouraged by someone, named Warren, Iyou said he said you come alive most when you talked about Christ. He encouraged you to start asking the Lord how you could use your gift and love for Jesus to help others. I am curious if you’d share if that was revealed to you right or way or did it it take time? also it says you are a budget advisor. Do you ever use this skill to teach/blog to others how they can learn to budget accordingly to God’s will and to be financially free? There’s just so many people who truly need much understanding and help in this area. I am speaking for myself here, it’s something I have been seeking out for months and months. It’s just something I’ve never learned but desire too. My husband and I want to be good stewards and givers in the kingdom. With his new business I am struggling to find a way to achieve this. But with my three small kiddos I either don’t have the brain space to create a system or haven’t found a way to understand it or both.Anyway May God bless you, Your family, and the readers of this blog blog. Thank you for taking the time to read my comment. mostly for sharing Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Well how much I appreciate you reaching out and sharing how God has used me to help encourage you in your walk with Him. Warren, one of my close friends, is often challenging me and yes perhaps it’s the Holy Spirit who is actually giving me the challenge. The Bible Study posts are simply posting my daily times in the Word. I follow the Tabletalk monthly devotional guide from Ligonier and I highly recommend it. I’m like 2 years behind but that’s just because I miss days and it takes me several days sometimes to finish a selection. Check on Ligonier because they usually have a way for you to get a free 3 month subscription to see if you like it. So each day I read the scripture and the devotional and then record what I believe the Lord is speaking to me about. And I started adding a prayer as this was something I’ve added to the Jesus Calling posts as well. I’ve done these posts for my own purposes and I’ve been amazed at what God has been doing with them to encourage others. My job during the day is a finance manager or CFO for a city of Albuquerque department of 600 employees that runs the City buses. Warren is correct that I love talking about our Lord and Savior with people, though. There are a lot of wonderful financial advisement Christian ministries like Crown and books by Larry Burkett. At this time I haven’t sensed how God might Direct me to help others with this. But I am listening and once again appreciate your words. — Father, I pray for this husband and wife who desire to be good stewards of the gifts and resources you have given them. Strengthen Mom each day as she parents and manages her home. Give this family wisdom in starting this business as well as desiring to use it to glorify you and minister to others. Unite them as husband and wife. Help them to find ways to continue to date one another and give them quality time with You. Draw each of their children to a saving knowledge of You. Thank You God for your amazing love for us. Forgive us of our sins and thank you for securing a place with you for all eternity. In Christ, Amen. If you want to connect further try Facebook.com/cwpayton and message me. Thank you. - Chris

    ReplyDelete