Sunday, January 14, 2018

Mark 4:13-17 - The Path and Rocky Soil

Mark 4:13-17
13 And He said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How will you understand all the parables? 14 The sower sows the word. 15 These are the ones who are beside the road where the word is sown; and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word which has been sown in them. 16 In a similar way these are the ones on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy; 17 and they have no firm root in themselves, but are only temporary; then, when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they fall away.

Message: The Path and Rocky Soil

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

This chapter is interesting. I already see a consistent message in this parable of the sower and that is that God chooses and calls people to himself. There seem to be more that do not respond than respond. In the parable there are 4 surfaces, but only 1 with good soil. The other 3 are beside the road, on rocky ground, among thorns.

It reminds me of the ministry of apologetic's that has grown very strong over the last several years. It is a ministry I think that has always been present, but perhaps more well defined today. However, at times I have struggled to understand its purpose. I say that because as I now study these 4 surfaces in which the seed (the gospel) is being dropped, while there are characteristics of these surfaces I have often thought that apologetic's is helping to change 3 of those services to the fourth, the good soil. And based upon my experience, that process is not easy. It requires a lot of work. It seems similar to my desire to change the grass in my backyard that is Bermuda to Fescue grass. That is a process that will not come easily. I will have to uproot all of it, not just the grass, but the soil and roots underneath what I see. Thus, as I talk to people and use apologetic's, I notice a similar process. It is difficult and uprooting something or someone that already thinks they are healthy and growing is a difficult process. Convincing them that the Fescue grass seed is better is not easy. In fact, I can't convince them, but instead it takes an agent outside (of both types of grasses) of both persons to intercede. That agent is God. God changes hearts, not man.

I am reminded of a book I was reading called Christ-Centered Apologetics by Joel Furches in which he states that the chief audience for apologetic's is not the multitude, but rather the followers. Apologetic's can and should be studied, for the purpose of confirming God's truth to His followers. Yes, it can be part of our toolbox when talking to people that we consult, but that is not its chief aim in studying.

Picking up this passage, verse 13 says And He said to them. I believe 'them' is the same as His followers in verse 10. He is addressing His followers. This is a message to them first for they have been given the mystery (v. 11). Then He says - Do you not understand this parable? How will you understand all the parables? This is interesting. Jesus is saying that understanding this parable is key to understanding all the parables he will offer. And he says Verse 14 - the sower sows the word so immediately we know that the seed is the Word of God. It is his message to all.

Today's passage looks at 2 surfaces:
1. The path beside the road
These are the ones who are beside the road where the word is sown; and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word which has been sown in them.
2. The rocky soil
These are the ones on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy; and they have no firm root in themselves, but are only temporary; then, when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they fall away.

As I read this, I am immediately thankful that Jesus is telling us about all of the different sources and he is telling us what happens to the seed, the word, when it falls on those surfaces. We are called to preach and the reality is different soils we receive the message differently. I don't know why, but that message is startling to me, somehow in a new way. Almost, as if God does not want us to ever get discouraged because he wants us to understand that outcomes are never our responsibility. Obviously, it is normal for me to take training classes and improve on my delivery because I want to do my role as a speaker in the best way that I know. However, this preparation and training is not so that more will be saved. As my boss at the City said a number of years ago in describing the work that we do, "Focus on the presentation, not the result."

1. It is interesting the audience and the description of those beside the road. It resonates for I see these people often. The word is sown. The word is preached. They hear, but they immediately are taken away some place else. And they are lured away by Satan. The word was trying to take root in them for that is what the Word does, it takes root in us. That is its purpose, but they have been distracted. Who knows how long they are lured away. This doesn't appear to be a permanent luring away, but rather momentary is possible. The word will be sown again to them and perhaps at another time they won't be lured away.

2. For the seed that is sown on rocky places, these individuals receive it with joy. They like it. They could even make a decision for Christ. I think of Christian concerts when I was younger and the altar calls or revival services or crusades. Many received the message with joy, but often it was temporary. Something else that is interesting is Jesus says when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they fall away. Affliction and persecution arises because of the Word, because of the Gospel, because of the message. The gospel is not all about providing us good times and no problems. Rather, affliction and persecution are a necessary part of our growth. Yet, we are conditioned to think that affliction and persecution are contrary to God working in our life and what God wants of us. The problem here is not the affliction and persecution, but that when it hits, the person falls away. The person rejects the seed, the Word. The person no longer believes the message. What an amazing truth for our lives, for this time, when the world is telling us only "Let the good times roll."

Promise: True conversion is proven over time as people stand for Christ even under much suffering.

Prayer: Thank you again Jesus for saving me. Thank you Holy Spirit for speaking to me and calling me to be yours now and forever. Help me to be sensitive to people, continue to preach the word, even when it seems they are on shaky ground. You can change hearts at any time. Thank you for taking the time to explain these truths and giving me complete understanding so that I will not be discouraged.




No comments:

Post a Comment