Saturday, November 17, 2018

Mark 14:22-25 - Jesus' Blood of the Covenant

Mark 14:22-25
22 While they were eating, He took some bread, and after a blessing He broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is My body.” 23 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 And He said to them, “This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many. 25 Truly I say to you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

Message: Jesus' Blood of the Covenant

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Preface - It is Thursday, and the day before the Passover. Jesus is leading the disciples through the Lord's Supper, having prepared a place for them to gather. He has just stated that He will be betrayed by one of them. Each disciple responds in disbelief. That person's life will forever be remembered for that one act. Earlier in the day Jesus was anointed at the house of Simon the Leper.

The Lord's Supper is an interesting act that has been repeated by the church and His followers in services throughout history. This was the only Lord's supper that occurred prior to the Lord's crucifixion. Whether looking forward here or back, which is what we now do, it is all about remembering the atonement and resurrection.

As in most practices in Scripture, I notice that different belief systems practice different things about the Lord's Supper. The Roman Catholic Church believe that Christ is personally and physically present int he bread and wine and the invisible essence of the elements becomes Christ Himself, body and soul. I've also noticed many different frequencies of it being practiced. I remember the Church of Christ did it every single Sunday and can recall if you missed church Sunday morning, you had an opportunity to partake in it Sunday evening. Others do it quarterly or monthly (my church). I have a friend that is 7th Day Adventist and they bury the bread and wine not consumed after the service. There is also the belief that this practice is only for believers or those that have confessed Jesus as Lord of their life.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke's wording of the Lord's Supper is not very different, but Paul when speaking of it seems to add "as often as you do this." And therefore, the church has followed this practice is doing it often. Paul's account was probably about 20 years after the gospel narratives and was there to mention problems that seem to have arisen from its practice which means that it was a practice that was repeated after it was instituted by Jesus prior to his death. So he simply confirmed that it was an event to practice repeatedly.

As a person that has partaken of the Lord's Supper many times I must admit that it is a practice I follow but I struggle sometimes with feeling its significance. In the church service, worship takes on a meaning because I am giving of myself. As I sing, I praise the Lord. As I give tithe, I take what has been given me and return it, but I also make a conscious decision to not hold onto that which has been given, and even in the listening of the message I am seeking to learn from the Lord what I can take in and hopefully apply in my life going forward. But, the Lord's supper is taking a moment to remember what has been done and often it remains unclear what I am doing in that moment. Yes, I am thinking God for his specific sacrifice in shedding his blood, in having his body beaten. I am thankful and appreciative and His sacrifice was great, so I suppose this is why it needs to be repeated. But His body was broken once and I began living for Him and then continue to trust Him so how many times do I need to hear "The Body of the Lord broken for me?" In essence I just continue the practice because it seems to be a practice that has been practiced successively, frequently following its first occurrence. But, again, I suppose I expect that it should produce in me more of a feeling of significance as it occurs.

Perhaps what I need to see through this event is simply that my life is all about Christ and his sacrifice provided me life. Right now, my stomach is grumbling for food, but my stomach should also grumble each day for His word. I have been faithful of late, which seems to be a common practice for me in the winter times of the year. But, can i sustain this throughout the year.

While they were eating, - so to me this means that while they were eating the Passover meal or the Lamb and herbs, He took some bread, and after a blessing He broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is My body.” That must have been a radical experience for them. There is no mention of Judas not being there. Christ offers his body for all, his sacrifice for all. But the response to that offering differs. Jesus will soon offer his body as a physical sacrifice. He has already said he will be scourged and beaten. So he is saying that he is offering his body for us, for his followers.

And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. And He said to them, “This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many." These are also interesting words. This is not just my blood, but the blood of the covenant. By using these words Jesus seems to bring them back to the covenant Moses gave the people of God form Exodus 24:8 - Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, "This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words." Blood marked a sealing of an agreement between people. It is an act that is carried to this day. Often in western movies a person would cut his hand and then seal an agreement with another person through the blood. For Moses blood was sprinkled on the altar and then on the people and this married the two. Jesus is doing the same thing in stating this union now between His blood and many. Note, his blood is not poured out for all, but for many.

Truly I say to you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God. He takes the blood and now refers to it as the fruit of the vine. In the Gospel of John, Jesus referred to himself as the vine. It seems that the next time Jesus would share this Supper with his disciples would be in heaven when they arrive. His followers would practice until they are united again. Jesus is going away but one day we will be united again with Him.

Summary - While the disciples were eating the Passover meal, Jesus gives them his Body through bread and his blood through a cup and tells them His blood has been poured out for many. They were to take it. This was given in anticipation of his upcoming sacrifice. But, it is also a practice continued to be practiced until we return to Him in the Kingdom of God.

Promise: We need Christ more than food. Life itself is found in him.

Prayer: Lord, help me to remember you and your sacrifice for me. Your body was broken for me. Your blood sealed me forever with you. I trust in You. I believe in You and I live for you. Help me Lord to experience this Joy in You each time I take the Lord's Supper. Make that time special.

No comments:

Post a Comment