Sunday, November 18, 2018

Mark 14:26-31 - The Scattering of Sheep

Mark 14:26-31
26 After singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
27 And Jesus *said to them, “You will all fall away, because it is written, ‘I WILL STRIKE DOWN THE SHEPHERD, AND THE SHEEP SHALL BE SCATTERED.’28 But after I have been raised, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.” 29 But Peter said to Him, “
Even though all may fall away, yet I will not.” 30 And Jesus *said to him, “Truly I say to you, that this very night, before a rooster crows twice, you yourself will deny Me three times.” 31 But Peter kept saying insistently, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!” And they all were saying the same thing also.

Message: The Scattering of Sheep

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Preface - Jesus has just finished the Passover meal and Lord's Supper gathering with his disciples, announcing that one of them would betray Him and then giving the Lord's Supper telling them His body is broken for them and His blood marks a covenant between Him and many people.

After singing a hymn - interesting. this is the first time that I have seen the mention of singing a hymn and this was probably a Psalm. they went out to the Mount of Olives - so they headed back to the spot they have been spending most of their time resting.

At this moment, Jesus quotes from the prophecy of Zechariah in regards to the Messiah and the final salvation of the people Israel. Zechariah 13:7 says, "Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, And against the man, My Associate,” Declares the Lord of hosts. “Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered; And I will turn My hand against the little ones." The reality is that while the priests and leaders put Jesus to death, they were acting on their own evil purposes. But, the Lord was behind it all as recorded in these words, I WILL STRIKE DOWN THE SHEPHERD. Jesus will bear the wrath of God in order to save people from their sin. I'm not sure I have ever really put this together. I have thought that God's wrath was fulfilled in Jesus, but to say that the Lord worked through the Jewish leaders to strike down the shepherd is a little different. It makes sense, though. So man is responsible for his actions but God is carrying out his purposes through man, thus He is sovereign. I suppose that is what is meant by that term. I am not sure I have ever really understand that term before - sovereign, that is - but I think this it. God works, but man is still responsible.

AND THE SHEEP SHALL BE SCATTERED.’But after I have been raised, I will go ahead of you to Galilee.This is also part of God's divine will. The sheep will go through a refining process. This happens in the life of Christians. We watched the movie "I'm not Ashamed" about Rachel Scott who was killed at the Columbine shooting in April 1999. It was about her life and despite trusting in Christ as Savior and Lord she returned to her lifestyle of dancing with danger. There was a mountaintop experience followed by a valley and then a return to life lived in submission to God. And yet in the end this got her killed. But, the point is our lives follow this trajectory. We run away, but those that have been truly grafted return to their true faith in Christ. 

The remainder of this passage is the disciples believing at the time that falling away was not possible. This is normal. But Peter said to Him, “though all may fall away, yet I will not.” And Jesus *said to him, “Truly I say to you, that this very night, before a rooster crows twice, you yourself will deny Me three times.” But kept saying insistently, “if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!” And they all were saying the same thing also. Again, this is what we think. It's normal to think that at this high moment we are always going to live our lives in surrender to the Lord and will never compromise that position. But Jesus is clear, even to Peter, it will happen.

Summary - Jesus has had the Passover meal with his disciples and then given the Lord's Supper and then returns to the Mount of Olives to talk to them about his divine appointment with death and then the scattering of the disciples and sheep. They will deny him. It will happen whether they think it will happen or not.

Promise: Though we think it is not possible to fall away, we can still. I need to remember this and forgive people's mistakes. Mistakes doesn't mean it's over, as redemption can still occur and often does.

Prayer: Lord, I am truly thankful for this study of Your word and really the study of Your life through the eyes of Peter as told to Mark. Thank you for the truth of your message and helping me understand terms like sovereign. God, your will is eternal and ordained, but I am still responsible for my actions. Thank you for redeeming mankind through the death of your son. Thank you for church and the sweetness of that time with You. I pray for people and that they would return to you - like my son and my father - I pray they would come back to the Son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment