Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Mark 14:37-42 - Willing Spirits and Weak Flesh

Mark 14:37-42
37 And He *came and *found them sleeping, and *said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38 Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 39 Again He went away and prayed, saying the same words. 40 And again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy; and they did not know what to answer Him. 41 And He *came the third time, and *said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? It is enough; the hour has come; behold, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42 Get up, let us be going; behold, the one who betrays Me is at hand!

Message: Willing Spirits and Weak Flesh

Time: Mark's personal connection with Peter gave him the source material for this book. This book was composed probably between AD 57 and AD 59. It's a book that is on the move, leading to the cross. 39 times is the word 'immediately' used. Mark reveals Jesus as God's servant, reaching into the lives of people and effecting physical and circumstantial change.

What the Lord is Saying:

Preface - Jesus is preparing for a distressing time. He knows it. He comes down from the Mount of Olives to pray. He has predicted his death. But, he still asks for another way out, another way to satisfy the will of God. But no matter what He asks the will of God to be done. It is the night before He is crucified.

Up to this point, Jesus knows that Judas will betray Him. I wonder at this point if the Judas was with them. It seems that  he is not. Because it seems that one reason here in these verses as to why Jesus was asking Peter, James, and John to keep watch is because He knows that He will be given over to leaders, but He needs to pray. So he asks them to keep watch. Jesus is in great distress at this time, as has been recorded. And He *came and *found them sleeping, and *said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? The disciples are to do what Jesus says but continually they fail. And in this serious moment they have fallen asleep. Could you not keep watch for one hour? The task was somewhat simple. Whether the disciples thought this was an important task or not, they still had a task to do.

Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. This statement was for a specific purpose and yet it can be applied to many areas of our ongoing lives. Do I actively watch and pray that I may not come into temptation? I wonder if I take my flesh serious enough. I am doing a better job in these months of training myself by God's word. God has given me a great love for my wife and I continue to make her #1 and I am fortunate because she responds well to me as well. She enjoys my company so I have no reason to look elsewhere and thus, temptations are lessened. I work hard on that relationship. The kids are leaving and that relationship is central in my life. The kids needs are less and yet they still need the Word of God. I am not speaking into their lives enough. I am not asking to pray for their needs like I should be doing. Pamela and I need to be a stronger force regarding prayer. I do not need to get too big for my own britches or think that I am safe and all is good. I need to continue to watch and be careful not only for temptations that hit me but temptations that hit my family. I am their leader.

Again He went away and prayed, saying the same words. And again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy; and they did not know what to answer Him. What a sad picture this is of the Lord and His followers. Christ gives so much to us, his life. He bore the sin of the world and we take it for granted. He remains faithful to pray for us and I need to take my commission before the Father more serious.

And He *came the third time, and *said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? It is enough; - It is sad to see this response by the disciples at this moment, but I also see a similar response by me and Jesus has come to me way more than 3 times and I have not replied.

the hour has come; behold, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us be going; behold, the one who betrays Me is at hand!” Get up. Get ready. Get going. Don't delay. It is time.

Summary - Jesus is preparing His death. It is getting closer and his betrayal is closer at hand. He needs his disciples to stand by Him. They have said they won't deny him but then they fall asleep and don't watch when they are needed. The commission of God is for Him to be seized, but man is still responsible to be alert and watch for those that may come for Jesus. It is the day before his crucifixion.

Promise: The message is simple here today but the application is hard. The message is 'people be ready' but the application is we are to be ready. Seek God's face. My flesh is weak. Serve the Lord and follow through on this daily. Wake me up.

Prayer: Lord, help me to stand watch over me and my family for temptations that enter our lives. Forgive me Lord for not protecting my family better. Help me God to encourage them and pray for them as you direct me to. They are your children and they all need you, whether they are here in this house or farther away. Help me to protect my wife as well. Yes, your Spirit is willing, but Yes our flesh is weak and we resort to being trained too often by the world and its ways. Thank you for using this verse to instruct me. Keep me faithful. Lord, I need to turn to your more. Lord, free up those things that so often distract me and pull me away from living for You. Wake me up O God.






No comments:

Post a Comment