Tuesday, May 23, 2023

A Prayer about Snakes, Scorpions, and God's Spirit

Luke 11:11-13 (NASB1995)

11 Now suppose one of you fathers is asked by his son for a fish; he will not give him a snake instead of a fish, will he? 12 Or if he is asked for an egg, he will not give him a scorpion, will he? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

Dear Father, it's been almost fifty days since Easter Sunday. That makes this upcoming Lord's Day Pentecost Sunday--the day when we celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit. Like ignoring a houseguest, I can take this honored guest for granted. I repent, especially as I recall what a special Person he is. 

Blessed Holy Spirit, it's because of you I believe the gospel. If you hadn't given life and faith in Jesus, I would still be dead in my sins and trespasses. You also sealed me forever as the Father's possession. You're the first fruits of my final redemption--the guarantee that one day I will live with the whole family of God in the new heaven and new earth. 

It's by you I hear the Father tell me I'm his beloved child. It's by you that I hear and learn more of the glory and grace of Jesus, for you are always drawing attention to him. 

It's through your power I'm able to put to death everything in me that contradicts the gospel. It's through your work that good fruit is being produced. I'm becoming more and more like Jesus because of you. 

I can pray and worship acceptably only because of you. In fact, you're praying inside of me right now, and you continue to do so even when I'm too undisciplined or too broken to pray. It's by you that I am gifted for service and empowered for mission. How I praise you for your multiple graces in my life!

Father, I take Jesus' promise seriously. Today, I ask for more of the Holy Spirit's work in my life. I love fish and eggs, but what I need and want is the gift of your Holy Spirit. Free me from my stereotypes. Free me from a mere correct-yet-notional theology of the Spirit. Free me from being held hostage to distortions of who the Holy Spirit is and fears of weird stuff. I am thirsty enough to be done with being cool and being in control. I pray in Jesus' exalted name. Amen. 


-- Taken from "Everyday Prayers" by Scotty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment