Friday, May 5, 2023

I Corinthians 7:17-24 - Called from Every Vocation

I Corinthians 7:17-24

17 Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk. And so I direct in all the churches. 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God. 20 Each man must remain in that condition in which he was called.

21 Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it; but if you are able also to become free, rather do that. 22 For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord’s freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ’s slave. 23 You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, each one is to remain with God in that condition in which he was called.


Time: Not the first, but 2nd letter to Corinthians, but the first to survive and to be considered authoritative. Written in AD 55, it was penned after Paul had reports of quarreling in this church he had previously visited. Paul covers a number of subjects, but all focus on the Christian's life in the church. 

What the Lord is Saying: It is interesting to me to understand the context of this passage. In Paul's day, the City of Corinth was the most important city in Greece, as it was a hub of worldwide commerce, but it also was a culture that was degraded and included idolatrous religion. Paul, in this book is firm as he deals with (1) divisions in the church, (2) disorder in the church, and (3) difficulties in the church. The New Testament church is young. Christ was crucified in AD 33 and so this is 22 years later, at a time when this church does not possess the Bible that I have in front of me today in its entirety. At this time, there would have only been penned Matthew, Galatians and James and yet we simply don't know how much of these letters or words were a part of the church. And so this letter Paul is writing to the Church becomes their doctrinal statement and my guess is much of how their church begins is through word of mouth. 

Chapter 7 gives the listener at the beginning principle for married life and at the end principles for the unmarried as well as remarriage. In the middle, my Open Bible has today's reading with a heading of "Principles of Abiding in God's Call." Again, I find this interesting that Paul seems to be addressing how one is to live. 

He writes to an audience that is probably Jewish and yet also Gentile. And he brings up first circumcision - an important practice of the Jew and yet he states what should be important in the life of a follower is not this practice (verse 18), but rather what is important is keeping the commandments of God (v. 19). Verse 19 seems to be the pivotal verse of this section and namely the last part -- what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God. What matters is our obedience not who we are (freeman or slave, circumcised or not). Verse 23 says, you were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. We are to be a people of God. We need to be concerned about what God deems important. God has bought us, called us, made us all free (verse 22 - the Lord's freedman). 

Look at the similar thinking in Galatians 5:6, a writing by Paul that occurred at the same time. he says, For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love. Circumcision is a rite or ritual, but liked I learned in the October 2017 issue of Tabletalk when I studied sacraments, this practices can be important and perhaps we can even say they are needed but I still can't say they are required. If Paul is telling us that circumcision does not mean anything in regards to freeing a man or being purchased, then it seems the purpose of the rituals or sacraments is therefore to point us towards God. And so they can be important, but we always need to be mindful that they do not in and by themselves lead to salvation nor are they on a salvation timeline or checklist that leads one to being saved or in Christ. But rather they can help us and point us toward that right relationship with God. 

I Corinthians 1:17 - For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel... This does not mean that baptism is not important. In that verse he seems to be saying to not let the issue of whether you have been baptized or not divide you. Rather be united by the gospel and who we are in Christ. 

In time I have really come to enjoy the British minister Alexander Maclaren and his writings from the 19th century. He breaks this chapter and verse down in a way that really resonates with me. Again, don't get too caught up in the ritual that you miss the relationship with Jesus. Galatians 5:6 says what is important is faith working through love. In today's passage it is keeping of the commandments of God. It is doing the will of the Father. Jesus said in Luke 22:42, Not my will, but thine be done

Galatians 6:15 says, For neither circumcision anything, not uncircumcision, but a new creation. What is most important is my newness in Christ. What matters is getting to that new state of John 3:16 and 2 Corinthians 5:17

And so I am back to what is key. What is the key? Faith is the key. By trusting in Christ I become a follower of Christ and become one that keeps the commandments of God. I am a new creature created in Christ Jesus for good works. And so I want to live for Him. I want to learn from Him. I want to be like Him. And yet I live in the world and am called to be in the world and yet not to be conformed to it. Every step, every day I am Christ. I am His. And as His I am to be about the will of the Father. It is automatic if I let it. If I let my mindset change, it will change. Don't make it about duty or checklists or rituals. Make it about Him and letting Him renew me. Let my mind be renewed

And so today, this lesson, "Called from Every Vocation", the lesson is simple. Be it freeman or slave, it does not matter. I am called to do the will of the Father. I do the will of the Father whether circumcised or uncircumcised, whether having been baptized or not baptized, taking the Lord's supper or not, married or not married, having children or not having children, rich or poor, Gentile or Jew, black or white, Baptist or not, Lutheran or not, Presbyterian or not. What matters is not me or my affiliation, but the will of the Father. It is not form or ritual, it is being in Christ so that then all things will flow forth. Wherever God has placed me, that is where I serve Him. 

Summary: Be it freeman or slave, it does not matter. I am called to do the will of the Father. 

Promise: The important thing to remember is that wherever we labor, we can labor for the glory of God and the good of our neighbors. 

Prayer: O God, thank you for waking me up this morning. I woke up bothered by last night and the work I was doing. Whatever it was that woke me up it brought me to Your Word and brought me to a lesson that has been on my mind so often and a lesson that I so badly wanted to know and see. The lesson is that You have saved me. And in saving me, you have made me knew. O God, how I want to get out of the way and instead let you Spirit live in me the will of the Father. It only happens because of Christ being in me. Awakened by the Spirit, brought to faith by Christ, so that I may do the will of the Father. Renew me daily. As I live in this world, I do not want to be conformed to it. Keep me non-conformed. Keep me trained for Godliness. Keep me close to you. Thank you for calling me at this moment in the work you have and from it I can serve you as good as anyone else. What matters is being in Christ. Thank you God. Thank you for gripping me today with these truths. If I can, help me to pass it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment