Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Ephesians 4:28 - Loving Neighbor Through Vocation

Ephesians 4:28 - He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need.


Time: Paul wrote the letter to the Ephesians sometime in AD 60–61, around the same time he wrote Colossians and Philemon. Ephesians deals with topics at the core of being a Christian - faith and practice, no matter the situation.

What the Lord is Saying: This passage in my bible is under the heading of 'Put on the New Self.' Paul is delivering a message to Christians on how they are to live, providing them responsibilities, their behavior, their conduct. And in these words he is speaking of how the Christian is to act toward his neighbor. 

Verse 29 was a hallmark verse for me as a Christian growing up. Coming to Christ at the age of 14, I remembered being a person that had cursing show up in my life. And so verse 29 was of great encouragement to me -- "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear." 

This passage encouraged us that work is way to encourage others. I do not think this is my first thought when it comes to work. I think first of providing for my family and fulfilling my calling. I suppose I go into work first and foremost with that in my mind, but I also take pride in doing my job well, trying to make good decisions and lead the organization in good business. 

But this passage seems to give greater light to words from 2 Corinthians 5:17 -- Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. It speaks of shedding the old things and the old ways of living and instead take on a new mission and role. Verse 25 says to "Lay aside falsehood." And in verse 26 to not sin with our anger. And now in verse 28 to no longer steal. Instead of being a thief we are to be one who shares what we have with others. 

I have found myself doing this often with people that I have met abroad. After spending time with them and testing them to see if they are reputable and then also praying about those situations, I have felt a need to help those who are less fortunate. All of these individuals are black or African American. And so Pamela and I from our labor have been of help to them. But I am not sure I have had the same idea about people here in Albuquerque and specifically at my job here at the City of Albuquerque. 

The reason I work is to give to those in need. I am to provide but also to alleviate suffering. I am to go the extra mile not simply for those halfway around the world, but those next to me. 

Summary: I am to labor diligently in my vocation as as to have resources to share with those who cannot meet their own needs. 

Promise: Christians are called to love their neighbors as they love themselves and one of the ways we can do this through our vocations. 

Prayer: O God, you are rich in mercy and you have given me so much. You have provided me a good job with good resources of funds. Help me to not be selfish in my receipt of these monies, but to be a person that is giving to others. Give me wisdom though as I truly want to help those that are going to be good with the money I share with them. Direct me to those in need and help me always to do what is right in giving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment