Sunday, November 12, 2023

John 8:12-20 - The Light of the World

John 8:12-20
12 Again therefore Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life." 13 The Pharisees therefore said to Him, "You are bearing witness of Yourself; Your witness is not true. 14 Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true; for I know where I came from, and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from, or where I am going. 15 You people judge according to the flesh; I am not judging anyone. 16 But even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and He who sent Me. 17 Even in your law it has been written, that the testimony of two men is true. 18 I am He who bears witness of Myself, and the Father who sent Me bears witness of Me." 19 And so they were saying to Him, "Where is your Father? Jesus answered, "You know neither Me, nor my Father, if you knew Me, you would know My Father also." 20 These words He spoke in the treasury, and He taught in the temple; and no one seized Him, because His hour had not yet come. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: Now in verse 12, Jesus continues where we left off in chapter 7, verse 52. He is in Jerusalem, having arrived there for the Feast of Booths and then going to the temple to speak and teach, while also the Pharisees heard and questioned. But Jesus has been firm and clear - we are to seek Him. We are to believe in Him. In Him, our thirsts are quenched. Jesus is sent by God. And what I see Jesus doing over and over is adding more reason to do this, but also pronouncing more and more that He is the answer. 

I am constantly amazed at man's thirst to find answers that primarily include self as the answer. I see it as this training that occurs in our life that to achieve results we must perform. And Jesus here over and over is declaring that He is the answer, not obedience to a construct, like the Law and not obedience to a pattern of living. Our lives need right living that we are reminded of continually by the Law but this right living doesn't result in God's acceptance because as good as the design, we are broken and fail and not perfect, as such not Holy as He is. And so we must keep turning our necks to God and to Him and what He provides for us. 

And so Jesus does that again, here. He says, "I am the light of the world" which is really again a sort of audacious statement, as well as even pompous. He is stating He is it and the Pharisees respond with, "No, you are not." But Jesus is saying that He is the preferred contrast. He is the light to the darkness. 

What follows is what has continued to be consistent in this book - Jesus' defense for who He is - the Father sent Him. 

The complaint by the Pharisees was that Jesus could not self-proclaim Himself. Jesus states that the second witness is the Father. And Jesus mentions Deuteronomy 19:15 - "..on the evidence of two or three witnesses a matter shall be confirmed." It is interesting because that idea is a tie in to the last passage when the Pharisees brought the woman caught in adultery. 

Summary: Jesus proclaims Himself as the Light of the World based upon two witnesses, Him and the Father. 

Promise: We are prone to look for light and guidance everywhere but in Christ. Let us turn from these attempts and seek only the light of Christ. 

Prayer: Lord, You are the light. You not only shine, but you are the contrast to the darkness and a contrast to the dark and dissatisfying world in which we live. I know You to be My Light. And I pray that You would lead me continually to uphold it and make You known. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.  

No comments:

Post a Comment