Monday, November 13, 2023

John 8:21-30 - How Not to Die in Sin

John 8:21-30
21 He said therefore again to them, "I go away, and you shall seek Me, and shall die in your sin; where I am going, you cannot come." 22 Therefore, the Jews were saying, "Surely He will not kill Himself, will He, since He says, 'Where I am going, you cannot come?' 23 And He was saying to them, "You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world. 24 I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins." 25 And so they were saying to Him, "Who are You?" Jesus said to them, "What have I been saying to you from the beginning? 26 I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him; these I speak to the world." 27 They did not realize that He had been speaking to them about the Father. 28 Jesus therefore said, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me. 29 And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him." 30 As He spoke these things, many came to believe in Him. 


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: This section is called, "The Light of the World" through the end of the chapter. He has said he is the light of the world. And then he mentions how he states He is true based upon the witness of two, "The Father who sent Me bears witness." And so, "If you know true the Father, then you will know also the Son." 

Then, Jesus records words I don't recall before from John as he states he will go away one day (verse 21). And He mentions people dying in their sin. He is from above, not of this world. And people will die in their sins unless you believe. There is a contrast here that he speaks of once again. Those who die in their sin and those that do not by believing, "I am." That He has authority. The I am phrase is the same phrase used in the Greek translations of Exodus 3:14 and Isaiah 40-55 where God refers to Himself. He has been sent by God. He is living water, bread of life, light of the World. Or do not believe in this and you will die in your sin. There is a contrast in beliefs. There is mere belief that Jesus is the Christ, but there is belief that goes beyond that, to acceptance of all Jesus said He is. This is growing more clear as we read more and more. 

See, Jesus has so much to say to them. It is another reason why his time has not yet come for him to go. He will go away one day. But now is not the time. 

And Jesus continues to speak from the Father. They often did not believe Him but maybe as He speaks from the Father, people will believe. 

And after speaking these words, John proclaims to us that many came to believe in Him. 

Summary: Jesus says he will be going away and to be with him one must believe in Him or die in their sin. He is I am and is sent by the Father. 

Promise: If we die in our sins, our end will be Judgment, but if we die in faith, in believing in Jesus and who He said He is, we will live with Christ forever. 

Prayer: O God, you are rich in love and power. Your ways are different. You are from the Father. I trust You and believe in You. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's.  



No comments:

Post a Comment