Sunday, November 19, 2023

John 8:48-55 - The One Who Seeks Christ's Glory

John 8:48-55
48 The Jews answered and said to Him, "Do we not say rightly that You are a Samaritan and have a demon? 49 Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon, but I honor My Father and you dishonor Me. 50 But I do not seek My glory; there is One who seeks and judges. 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death." 52 The Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets also, and You say, "If anyone keeps My word, he shall never taste of death." 53 Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too, whom do You make yourself out to be?" 54 Jesus answered, "If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, 'He is our God'; 55 and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I shall be a liar like you, but I do know Him, and keep His word


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: Jesus has just stated that those who are of God are the ones that hear the word of God. Jesus is stating this because the Jews that are speaking to Him (in Jerusalem) are not believing in Him. In verse 43 He says, "You cannot hear My word." In some of my previous studies I have seen that the only way people can hear of God is if God awakens them to be able to hear. In John 6:44 Jesus says, "No one came come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draws him." It seems we are drawn by the Father, awakened by the Spirit or born of the Spirit (3:6). And yet the Jews are stating that because of being the offspring of Abraham, they are not enslaved (3:33) and do not need to be set free (3:32) and yet Jesus makes known that everyone is born of sin is a slave of sin (3:34). But the Jews continue to focus on their relationship to Abraham. And because they do not accept Jesus and His words, Jesus also states they are of the devil (3:44). Strong words. Confrontational words. Sort of attacking words. 

Because following Jesus stating that they don't hear from God, the Jews now (v. 48) follow up by stating Jesus is a Samaritan and a demon. These words by the Jews are I think more of an assertion that Jesus is a heretic. Jews believed the Samaritans were the worst of the human race. And the confrontation that He is of the devil or Satan is more that he has an evil spirit. 

Jesus continues in his conversation to state that He is only interested in advancing the Father - honoring Him. He is not even focused on His own glory (v. 54). These are necessary words as well toward His audience. Jesus is unselfish and while He wants people to Believe in Him this is because the Father has sent him for this purpose - to believe in Him and not perish, but to have eternal life. And then in the process people will do great things (7:38). 

Jesus is also speaking that people that believe in Him will not perish and will not taste death, but will truly live. As He has been speaking of eternal life. The Jews understood what He was saying as they mention that Abraham and the prophets died (v. 52). And so the Jews see that Jesus is asserting that He is indeed greater than Abraham and the prophets (v. 53). Jesus is consistent. He has been stating this message throughout John and this is the message John wants to present to us. 

Summary: Jesus is all about the Father's glory, though the Jews believe he has an evil spirit. 

Promise: We can conquer death, but only by believing in Jesus, agreeing with the Father, who glorifies Jesus. 

Prayer: Jesus you are Lord. You are the only way for me to have eternal life. I do believe in You and agree that the Father sent you to be glorified. Father, draw people to You. Transform lives. Help people to discover the real meaning of the Gospel. Thank you for the clarity of Your Word and how it penetrates me. And brings life to me. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment