Wednesday, December 27, 2023

John 10:22-29 - Safe in the Hand of God

John 10:22-29

22 At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem; 23 it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon. 24 The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father’s name, these testify of Me. 26 But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.

Message: Safe in the Hand of God

Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: From the previous passage there was a division among those Jews listening to Jesus with many thinking that Jesus had a demon in Him. Why? Because of what He was proclaiming. That He lays down His life for His sheep (v.11). That the Father knows Him (v. 15) and that in Himself people will be saved (v. 9). And that beyond Israel, he adds the Gentiles as well to the fold of belonging to Him (v. 16). And He will die and be resurrected (v. 17). All this is based upon His authority (v. 18). 

Jesus had entered Jerusalem in chapter 7 following the request of his brother though he did it in His own way. That time was the Feast of the Booths in September/October time frame. Now it is the time of the Feast of Dedication taking place in Jerusalem (v. 22). 

The Feast of Dedication was also called the Feast of Maccabees and now is called Hanukkah or the Festival of Lights. The Maccabees successfully revolted against Antiochus IV Epiphanes (ruled the Seleucid Empire (encompass modern-day Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, Lebanon) from 175 BC until his death in 164 BC). The Maccabean revolt occurred from 167 BC to 160 BC. The Seleucids were trying to take control of Judea. Jewish practices were banned, Jerusalem was placed under direct Seleucid control, and the Second Temple in Jerusalem was made the site of a syncretic Pagan-Jewish cult. According to the Talmud, the Temple was purified and the wicks of the menorah miraculously burned for eight days, even though there was only enough sacred oil for one day's lighting. Thus, this is a Jewish festival commemorating the recovery of Jerusalem and subsequent rededication of the Second Temple. 

Jesus is walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. This portico is said to have been on the east side of the Temple, and to have been a relic of the original building of Solomon which had survived all destructions and restorations. And the Jews that have probably been a part of the division (v. 19) encircle him and question Him as to who He really is. Some have said he was a demon (v. 20) but others didn't think He could be demon possessed (v. 21). They want to know if He is the Christ. 

The question is rather preposterous. Jesus continues to state clearly He is from the Father and He is the Son of God. While Jesus does not say "I am the Christ" He has been speaking of who He is and that He is the Son of God. 

John 5:19 - Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner."

John 7:37 - Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink."

John 7:38 - “He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’”

John 8:12 - Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”

John 8:36 - “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."

John 8:56 - "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.

John 10:1 - “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is a thief and a robber.

Matthew Poole (1624–1679) in his commentary states, "I have in effect told it you more than once; I have told you that I am sent of the Father, &c., I have said enough for you to conclude it; but you will not understand, you will not receive it, you will not believe what I say. What need you any further witness of it, than those works which I do by Divine power; by virtue of my oneness with my Father, and of that power and authority which he hath committed to me, that by them I might confirm the doctrine which I have taught you?"

This is a sobering reality for many. And a sobering reality for those that know the truth that the reality is many will not conclude the same. Some people are stuck in their ways. Like the man we spoke to at the mall two weeks ago who really would not listen or consider any words that we might say. He was a man that was stuck. And no amount of revelation or words from us was going to change that. 

Jesus points out - you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. The sheep hear his voice and know his voice (vs. 3-4). But these are not His sheep. They don't hear. They may hear words from a mouth, but they don't hear in the sense of understanding and accepting. 

For those that hear and know His voice Jesus confirms their present and future -- My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.

Sheep have a different path - following Jesus. Receiving eternal life, never perishing. Safe in the Hand of God....always. 

This reminds me that once we are declared safe by Him and perhaps Jesus is the only one that really know who has been declared safe, but for those that are safe they will never be unsafe. They will never be lost. 

Summary: Jews encircle Jesus at the time of Hanukkah and want to know if He is the Christ. Jesus has already repeatedly told who He is. They are not His sheep and cannot hear Him. 

Promise: RC Sproul writes, "We are secure, not because we hold tightly to Jesus, but because He holds tightly to us.”

Prayer: Lord, I am thankful that I can hear you and that I know Your voice. It is a sobering reality Lord that others cannot hear. And yet Lord, you still want me to be a voice to people. You still want me to share. You want me to have the conversations and communicate and find Your sheep. Help me to be faithful in this. I need this. This is not a burden but something I need to do continually. For my own sake in who you have called me to be, I need to speak the truth of You to others. Thank you for the richness of Your word and the clarity of it and the history of You saving your people. This can be seen in Hanukkah that you have always been a God who saves their people, no matter what is going on in the world and who has governmental power, you are always present and near. I praise You God for this. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment