Sunday, December 31, 2023

John 11:1-10 - News about Lazarus

John 11:1-10
1 Now a certain man was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2 It was the Mary who anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick. 3 So the sisters sent word to Him, saying, “Lord, behold, he whom You love is sick.” 4 But when Jesus heard this, He said, “This sickness is not to end in death, but for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified by it.” 5 Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6 So when He heard that he was sick, He then stayed two days longer in the place where He was. 7 Then after this He said to the disciples, “Let us go to Judea again.” 8 The disciples said to Him, “Rabbi, the Jews were just now seeking to stone You, and are You going there again?” 9 Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: Chapter 10 is a discussion Jesus gives that He is the good shepherd. And He lays down His life for sheep. And Jesus does this, laying down His life, on the authority of the Father. Jesus recognizes here that some are not His sheep and will not hear His voice. As Jesus speaks further He proclaims that He and the Father are of the same essence, are One, and in response to this the Jews pick up stones to stone Him. Jesus continues to defend that the Father is in Him and He is in the Father. Chapter 10 ends with Jesus leaving Jerusalem, going beyond the Jordan and as He did many believed in Him there. 

Now in Chapter 11 Jesus finds out from Mary and Martha that Lazarus is sick. And He will go back to the area that He came from, Bethany which is only 2 miles from Jerusalem. The disciples are concerned for his safety. But Jesus responds with words about hours in the day to basically say, that He is here now on this earth and He wants to be doing His best for people now. 

This is an interesting passage and maybe I don't see a whole lot of application here, but still I learn about Jesus and His mission and what He values in this world, reminding me of what I need to value in this world - people and being committed to them. 

Also in verse 4 I see a common theme of a miracle that Jesus will do in raising Lazarus and while Lazarus will eventually die again (I would think) the intent of this miracle is "for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified by it." Obviously, people get helped with miracles but the end result of this is that these acts will glorify God. 

Also, Jesus mentions 12 hours in a day, as in 12 hours to do walking, 12 hours to do work. In the USA we have instead shifted to an 8 hour work day, but it reminds me possibly that my days need to be about work and doing work and not simply waiting and relaxing. There is time for this and God provides team each day for this, but I also need to be about work and doing my best with the time He has given me. 

Summary: Jesus leaves Jerusalem, but will return to nearby Bethany after hearing that Lazarus is sick. 

Promise: God’s timing is not our timing, and His timing is always perfect.

Prayer: Lord, I thank you for the messages that I continue to study and read about in this Gospel of John. Thank you for giving John these words to say, that I might hear them, learn more about You and How you work and then how I am to conduct myself in these days. You are to be always glorified God. I think you for the many miracles you have done in my life - simply providing me great parents, a wonderful wife, great children, a great place to work and live and joy for each day. It all is under the umbrella of grace and provides fulfillment I don't deserve. But I thank you for being so gracious to me and pray that You would help me be a better ambassador for you in this new year. Give me opportunities to speak to more people. Help me to be faithful in this way. Bring all the glory to You God. Watch over my children - train them in You. Save my father. Rescue him. Help me to accept always what You provide. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment