Thursday, December 28, 2023

John 10:30 - The Perfect unity of the Father and the Son

John 10:30
"I and the Father are one.”


Time: John most likely wrote between A.D. 85 and 90. John's purpose in writing was, "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:31)." 

What the Lord is Saying: As I have been studying and as I have been reading Jesus' words that He is speaking to those he interacts with, namely those who are questioning Him, He puts forth ideas but while He does speak those ideas He does it from the foundation that the Father has called Him. 

John 5:19 - Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing, for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner.

John 5:21For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes.

John 5:26 - 26 For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself;

John 5:30 - I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 

John 5:36the works which the Father has given Me to accomplish, the very works that I do, bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.

John 6:29 - "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent." 

John 6:32, 35 - Truly, truly, I say to you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread out of heaven, but it is My Father who gives you the true bread out of heaven. 35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger, 

John 6:38 - I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.

John 6:40 - For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, may have eternal life;

John 6:44 - No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draws him

John 6:46 - Not that any man has seen the Father, except the One who is from God, He has seen the Father.

John 6:51I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he shall live forever

John 6:57 - As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father

John 6:65 - no one can come to Me, unless it has been granted him from the Father.

John 7:28-29 - He who sent Me is true, whom you do not know. I know Him; because I am from Him, and He sent Me.

John 7:33-34 - Jesus therefore said, "For a little while longer I am with you, then I go to Him who sent Me. You shall seek Me, and shall not find Me; and where I am, you cannot come."

John 8:19 - Jesus answered, "You know neither Me, nor my Father, if you knew Me, you would know My Father also.

John 8:23 - And He was saying to them, "You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world.

John 8:26He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him; these I speak to the world."

John 8:29 - He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him.

John 8:42 - If God were your Father, you would love Me; for I proceeded forth and have come from God, for I have not even come on my own initiative, but He sent Me

John 8:54 - If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, 'He is our God'

John 8:55 - I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I shall be a liar like you, but I do know Him, and keep His word

John 8:58 - Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.

John 10:14-15 - I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father

John 10:18 - This commandment I received from My Father.

John 10:25 - I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father’s name, these testify of Me

All of these words that Jesus has been speaking are not so different from him now saying, I and the Father are one. Everything he does is from the Father and the Father and He act in a similar way. There is unity in purpose. 

The question posed to Jesus in the previous words is who Jesus is exactly. And specifically they are talking of His power because that is what Jesus has been talking about. His power to lay down His own life and raise it up again, to do the works. Jesus is claiming omnipotence, to be of the same power. 

And then following this is the reaction of the Jews - to stone Him. The Father and the Son have the same power. 

It is no surprise that Muslims do not accept the teaching of this book at all and do not believe it is authoritative. Actually, they can't and still have their religion. They must take a position of excluding it. 

Summary: Jesus has responded previously that only the Sheep here his voice but in further response to them asking who He is, He states He and the Father are One, of the same essence. 

Promise: The full unity in mission and essence of the Father and the Son guarantees the salvation of God’s people.

Prayer: God, your words are rich. Thank you for revealing yourself Jesus/God the way You have in these words and providing the clear understanding of who You are and the mission that You have been on. You are Savior. You are Lord. You are Light. You are I Am. There is salvation only in You Jesus. Keep my words consistent with who You are. Thank you for these truths and the joy of studying them. 


Note: If you are interested in other studies/devotions, check out my index of Bible Study's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment