Friday, February 28, 2014

Zechariah 10

Message: The Lord will restore His people

Time: The focus remains on the first coming of Christ. This is taking place after the completion of the temple. 480-470BC

What the Lord is Saying:

  • The Lord promises a restoration for his people. 
  • He will send rain, restoring their pastures (crops) to abundance. 
  • His people need a shepherd, otherwise they walk lost and aimless, trusting in pipe dreams.
  • A shepherd has the power of making the flock strong and glorious. 
  • God will send a Cornerstone
  • The Cornerstone will make His warriors mighty
  • His warriors will trample their enemies because the Lord will be with them. 
  • The Lord will strengthen His people because of His compassion. 
  • He is their Lord and His people will have happiness because of something they take in apart from themselves (like wine). 
  • They will listen to me when I call. 
  • The few remaining will grow numerous.
  • Though they are spread out, they will be united. 
  • And they will one day be regathered. 
  • The Lord makes His people strong. 


"By my authority, they will go wherever they wish." - not sure what this means

What I see from this passage is our need for a shepherd. Without a shepherd, the sheep or we, wander, trusting in words from others that never really lead us down the right path. Being in Christ, being with the Lord, means being guided by Him and what results by being in Him is a joy or happiness that in a way, is outside our knowing of how this happens. Like the way drinking wine effects us.

Verses 1-3 remind me of how little has changed in history. Sure, we have changes, but in the end, many look for guidance from idols and people that they think are making sense, rather than trusting in the Lord, the Shepherd. And then the sheep struggle remaining faithful. That's why, as I study God's word, I'm amazed by the phrase "be careful." It is a phrase I see often in Scripture. We must be careful for it is easy to be veered off course, even from those that are over us.

Lord, I pray you would gather Your sheep and Your sheep would hear your voice. Lord, make me more dependent on You. Help me to see that my strength is found in your camp and following after you. Thank you for calling me.

Promise: The Lord makes His people strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment