Saturday, October 17, 2015

Psalm 119:25-32 - The Power and Desire to Obey

Psalm 119:25-32
25 My soul cleaves to the dust; revive me according to Your word.
26 I have told of my ways, and You have answered me; teach me Your statutes.
27 Make me understand the way of Your precepts, so I will meditate on Your wonders.
28 My soul weeps because of grief; strengthen me according to Your word.
29 Remove the false way from me, and graciously grant me Your law.
30 I have chosen the faithful way; I have placed Your ordinances before me.
31 I cling to Your testimonies; O Lord, do not put me to shame!
32 I shall run the way of Your commandments, for You will enlarge my heart.

Message: The Power and Desire to Obey

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.
 
What the Lord is Saying:

My soul cleaves to the dust; revive me according to Your word. (v. 25)
Bring life into me, according to Your Word. 

I have told of my ways, and You have answered me; teach me Your statutes. (v. 26)
I share. You listen. Now teach me. 

Make me understand the way of Your precepts, so I will meditate on Your wonders. (v. 27)
I don't want to just be an ear, I want to be a mouth. Help Me Lord to understand the way of Your precepts. I want to mediate on all that you have done. Re-train me. 

My soul weeps because of grief; strengthen me according to Your word. (v. 28)
I am sad, but bring me back to strength, according to Your Word. 

Remove the false way from me, and graciously grant me Your law. (v. 29)
Remove all that is false from me and give me the truth of Your law. 

I have chosen the faithful way; I have placed Your ordinances before me. (v. 30)
I choose life. I choose faithfulness. Your ways are before me. 

I cling to Your testimonies; O Lord, do not put me to shame! (v. 31)
I cling to what You have done. Do not put me to shame!

I shall run the way of Your commandments, for You will enlarge my heart. (v.32)
I want to run the way of Your commandments. Through that running, you will enlarge my heart. 

I think about this passage and you can't help but try to figure out what it is the Psalmist was thinking. And so as I read it I think of what it means to me. It sounds like someone that recognizes their thoughts can defeat them at times. Verse 29 says keep me from lying to myself. Keep me from speaking words that are lies but I take as truths. It seems like often God is wanting to remind us that we need to keep our eyes focused on him and his precepts and his commandments and his promises. Too easily, I am distracted by things and thoughts and ideas that are not from God but are from other places that I experience in my life. And if I'm not careful those inputs begin to shape who I am. This passage reminds me that I have made a commitment to God. At one point in my life it all came together and I understood the truth of the gospel in my need for a savior and redeemer and protector. And as I experience life I should not forget God. Don't forget where you have come from. Bring God into every room of your life, into every room, My heart Christs home. God is really to be the one that rescues us from our circumstances and often our thoughts. Psalm 119:28 says, "I weep with sorrow; encourage me by your word." You know, I can spend every day in the word and surround myself with Christian music and Christian friends, but when push comes to shove and when sorrow enters my life, am I running to God, am I seeking to be encouraged by his word and his promises, or do I rather continue to sustain life based upon my own natural definitions. I think of trials that I'm experiencing right now or that may be in the life of my children, am I seeking encouragement from God's word. Have I made it my mission to pursue his commands? It says in verse 32 that he will expand my understanding.

Promise: Reading God's word is not enough. It expands my understanding, it encourages me, it determines the life I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment