Thursday, December 17, 2015

Proverbs 22:24-25 - Choosing Friends Wisely

Proverbs 22:24-25
Do not associate with a man given to anger; or go with a hot-tempered man, or you will learn his ways and find a snare for yourself.

Message: Choose your associations with people wisely

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

Hmm. I am prone to anger so maybe my family should avoid me. And this verse says that they will learn his ways and I think my kids now struggle with dealing with anger properly. So, guess what, they have learned something from me that they shouldn't have learned. It is now snaring them; messing up their soul; unwelcome. 

A person should learn to have restraint and a willingness to hold back and not to fly off the handle at every single provocation. 

Well, to be honest, I do not think there is anything that I have struggled with more than anger since I have been married and had kids. It has wreaked havoc on my life and it moves me to sin in ways I deeply regret. But, it continues to be a sore spot in my life. I think as the kids have gotten older, I do not fly off the handle as much. To be honest, reading this verse and thinking about my past really makes me sad for the way I have dishonored God, but also for how I believe I have trained my children to react to events in their lives that are unwelcome. 

Proverbs 14:29 - People with understanding control their anger; a hot temper shows great foolishness.

James 1:19-20 - Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. 

I do not know how to conclude this lesson or entry.
 
Promise: Be careful


No comments:

Post a Comment