Monday, December 7, 2015

Psalm 119:33-40 - A Heart Inclined to God's Law

Psalm 119:33-40
Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, 
and I shall observe it to the end. 
Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law
and keep it with all my heart. 
Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, 
for I delight in it. 
Incline my heart to Your testimonies 
and not to dishonest gain. 
Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, 
and revive me in Your ways. 
Establish Your word to Your servant, 
as that which produces reverence for You. 
Turn away my reproach which I dread, 
for Your ordinances are good. 
Behold, I long for Your precepts; 
revive me through Your righteousness.

Message: A Heart Inclined to God's Law

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: 

I think of David, putting together these words, crafting them with a Bible at that time that was very small. And so his relationship with God was more of a relationship that what mine is often today. I am thankful for God's word and need to know it. But, I wonder if I would maybe talk to Him more if I didn't have this big book of lessons. 

Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes. Teach Me, O Lord. Guide my steps. My desire is not momentary and temporal, but it is life long. I shall observe it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may observe Your Law and keep it with all my heart. Write your word on my heart. Help me God to understand what Your words mean and how they apply to every part of my life. Your Law is meant to be observed and adhered to in my life. It is to kept. Make me walk in the path of Your commandments. Make it so I don't have a choice. Make your commandments so clear and apparent in my life so that they are written on me. For I delight in it. For they are my joy. Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to dishonest gain. Lord, where does my heart reside? What does my heart strive after? It is sometimes to do a good job or be a good father or be a good husband; it is to take care of my house; it is often to please my family in a way that results in not surrendering my wealth to You and Your house (church). Incline my heart to your testimonies and words; make not dishonesty a part of my life in any way. 

Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, and revive me in Your ways. Lord, there are so many things that are fleeting and going away in this life. Make it so that I value You and Your ways. Make it so my eyes are centered on You. Lord, train me in things that last.  

Establish Your word to Your servant, as that which produces reverence for You. Again Lord, make Your Words my priority.

Turn away my reproach which I dread, for Your ordinances are good. [It is interesting that here in this stanza the words reproach and obedience are contrasted; Barnes says that reproach is also the word shame or dishonor. Naturally, we hate to be corrected; we hate discipline; reproach is to express disappointment or disapproval. NIV translates this as disgrace; NLT translates this as shameful.] God, there is shame and dishonor in wandering from you, in seeking out my own way. As I do this, I turn myself from you. I look often at your commands and somehow they are meant for my harm and yet by turning from you I receive unhappiness and an unsettled life. Keep me God centered on your ordinances. Keep me focused on that which is good. Keep me resting in Your Word each day.

Behold, I long for Your precepts; revive me through Your righteousness. I want to long for your precepts. It is the righteousness of God which has saved me. I pray my greatest desire is sanctification. May I long for the knowledge of Your every word. Again, Revive me. Resuscitate me. Awaken me from the dead. Lift me up for righteousness represents life and unrighteousness represents a life that is being led away from God. Lord, revive me.  

Promise: Revive Me Lord, in your ways, in your righteousness. Make me walk in the path of your commandments. This is where I want to reside.

No comments:

Post a Comment