Friday, December 11, 2015

Proverbs 3:7-8 - Being Truly Wise

Proverbs 3:7-8
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones.

Message: True Wisdom comes from Fearing the Lord

Time:
It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

In your own eyes
The immediate danger in this verse is--do not think you know more about you and what God has created, the now and the future, than God. God knows. This is hard, but we need a perspective and a lifestyle that believes that I do not "know it all." Don't be a know it all. Make sure my wisdom is coming from the Lord and is from His perspective.

Turn away from evil
We turn from evil because we fear the Lord. We do not want to take our chances with evil and its ways. Instead, we are to fear the Lord. The contrast from being wise is to fear the Lord. It is me recognizing that the Lord is in control. And then evil, by any time (even being wise in my own eyes) is something I turn away from. I hate evil. It has such a hold on me. There are certain vices which I just keep wandering back to. But, I need to turn.

Result: Healing and Refreshment
Here we have a natural result or promise of God. When we have a proper position before the Lord, we reap benefits from him. Our body is healed and our body is refreshed.We strive for this healing so much in our life and it is present in simple self-change. Healing comes about when we fear the Lord; when we are not wise in our own eyes. This is healing. This is when I am most refreshed, when I see things from His perspective.

Promise: Fear the Lord and be refreshed


No comments:

Post a Comment