Sunday, December 27, 2015

Proverbs 5:22-23 - The Cords of Sin

Proverbs 5:22-23
His own iniquities will capture the wicked, and he will be held with the cords of his sin. He will die for lack of instruction, and in the greatness of his folly he will go astray.

Message: The Cords of Sin

Time: It seems that Proverbs was written and then compiled sometime between the tenth and sixth centuries B.C. Proverbs was probably written during the reign of Solomon, 971-931 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:


Life can be discouraging at times, especially when we look at other people. I find that in my life when I can just concentrate on my family and what is going on, life is much happier, but the moment I see what other have, what they are experiencing, or the successes they have I tend to struggle. And I tend to try to find something about them that still makes me a better person. It is a horrible thing. I hate that I always try so hard, at times, to make it out I'm a better person. But, I do see myself improving in this issue. 

This verse speaks of the sins of the wicked. Some day they will found out and caught. Today in our time studying scripture at home, we saw that those that are wise in their own eyes do not bring healing to themselves, which means destruction comes to them. Here in verse 23 is a similar idea, that he will die for lack of destruction. The ones that think they have it all together will eventually die, and I think this means a person dies on the inside.  

Held with Cords of Sin
The sinner is held by his sin. And those sins become a cord that is connected to them. I think the thing that Solomon puts forth here is not simply that the wicked are captured by their sin for to what each of us surround ourselves, is what we become. If we are surround ourselves with good people, we tend to do good things. And the wicked conversely are ensnared by their sin. But this entrapment is not simply a momentary capture, but the person becomes held by these sins. 

I have heard many people say that once they are surrounded for so long in their sin that it becomes very difficult to separate themselves from it. For instance, a drug addiction or prostitution or alcoholism or obesity. Once we become accustomed to it, cutting the cord is almost impossible. 

Lack of instruction
Those that are wise in their own eyes (Proverbs 3:7) have no need for further instruction. And people who are bound by their sin, will die because they are satisfied with their sin.

Promise: The wicked are ensnared by their sin and it becomes a cord that they cannot un-attach themselves and it results in death.


No comments:

Post a Comment