Thursday, August 18, 2016

Psalm 119:89-96 - God's Fixed and Enduring Word

Psalm 119:89-96
89 Forever, O Lord, Your word is settled in heaven.
90 Your faithfulness throughout all generations; You established the earth, and it stands.
91 They stand this day according to Your ordinances, for all things are Your servants.
92 If Your law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction.
93 I will never forget Your precepts, for by them You have revived me.
94 I am Yours, save me; for I have sought Your precepts.
95 The wicked wait for me to destroy me; I shall diligently consider Your testimonies.
96 I have seen a limit to all perfection; Your commandment is exceedingly broad.

Message: God's fixed and enduring word

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying:

We continue to look to God's word. His word is a lamp unto our feet (v. 105). It is here in this passage today that we remember and see that the sacred Scripture reflects the steadfastness of our Maker.

It endures
Your word is settled (or fixed) in heaven (v. 89). God and his word is a forever source of our life, both for today and in the future in heaven.

God is faithful throughout every generation. You established the earth, and it stands (v. 90). We can also expect the same thing for the Word of God. It has been established and it stands.

All of these words and commands are under your servants (v. 91).

Without God's word, we would have perished (v. 92).

It is for me
I will never forget Your precepts (v. 93). To all eternity they shall be the object of my meditation. For by them You have revived me. God's word is the light to our life. As we learn it and study it, it will speak to us in a way different from anything else in our life.

I am Yours (v. 94). This is the statement of a pious person. All that I am is God's. I am a follower of God. I am his. Save me. Deliver me from my enemies. For I have sought your precepts. I am guided by your Words. 

It is my security
The wicked wait for me to destroy me (v. 95). Through it all, I find my support upon Your testimonies. Where is my security? I am secure and safe in my position as a Christ follower. This is where I sit and reside. I am not a creature of circumstances waiting for something good to happen to me first. I rest on God's word and its proclamation to my life. 

It exposes me
Verse 96 - I have seen a limit to all perfection; Your commandment is exceedingly broad. This is where man rests and allows God to take over. I see a limit in being perfect. God's word is significant when I look upon it. People often will say they are a good person, until the light of God's word shines upon their lives. God's word is exceedingly broad and because of it, I see that I am not perfect. If anyone thinks they are perfect, then they have not really considered God's word. This is a perfect verse to be found in this chapter 119 which speaks of the Word of God. After we examine God's word, we clearly see that we are not perfect and so how can we face God. We can't. This is why we need a savior. 

Promise: God's word not only endures, but it shines a light onto my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment