Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Ecclesiastes 10:20 - Avoiding Bitterness of Mind and Speech

Ecclesiastes 10:20
20 Furthermore, in your bedchamber do not curse a king, and in your sleeping rooms do not curse a rich man, for a bird of the heavens will carry the sound and the winged creature will make the matter known.

Message: Avoiding Bitterness of Mind and Speech

Time: Solomon's authorship is not stated. Solomon's reign as king of Israel lasted from around 970 B.C. to around 930 B.C. The Book of Ecclesiastes was likely written towards the end of his reign, approximately 935 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: This is a verse that confronts me, especially in the workplace. There is a spirit often of discontent that wells up in me and it carries forward to cursing those over me. There are always going to be things that frustrate us about those in leadership for we think that we can do things better. It is one thing to make suggestions, but when you sense your voice is not going to be heard then often people resort to grumbling with others. This sort of speech is foolish. For one, we do not know which people have eyes and ears where we do not expect them and anything we say just might end up making its way to them.

What remains at odds with bitterness is love for one's neighbor. It is hard. Bitterness is anger and disappointment at being treated unfairly. How often do I walk around with a bitter heart over very minor things?

The reverse of this is that idea that we are to respect those over us. True, they have vices and they have irritants, but we are still to give respect.

I found this attitude is not encouraged in our world where are communication zones have increased. All of our social media sites, blogs (like this one), media influences, internet news pages, are constantly reporting a commentary on society, on whatever we are experiencing -- and communicating over and over how each person's values and desires should be respected. As I look upon the canvas of social media right now and media in general, there is a constant spirit of attacking going on toward our President. The bottom line is people have not gotten what they wanted. They don't respect the leader. Therefore, they believe they don't have to respect his ways so they take it to the street to convey their displeasure towards him.

I think what is interesting about this all is people are often not taking care of what is most important and instead engaging in activities that have no good outcomes. People have stopped reading their Bible because they are listening to commentaries that the Bible is irrelevant.

The bottom line is I need help with this. I need help not falling into the rhetoric of fear and disrespect towards my elders. What is clear in the Bible.

Promise: God is over all, even kings and rulers. They don't have to adhere to my ways. I can trust God for outcomes.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be careful with my words and my thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment