Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Psalm 119:145-152 - The Nearness of God in His Word

Psalm 119:145-152
145 I cried with all my heart; answer me, O Lord! I will observe Your statutes.
146 I cried to You; save me and I shall keep Your testimonies.
147 I rise before dawn and cry for help; I wait for Your words.
148 My eyes anticipate the night watches, that I may meditate on Your word.
149 Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness; revive me, O Lord, according to Your ordinances.
150 Those who follow after wickedness draw near; they are far from Your law.
151 You are near, O Lord, and all Your commandments are truth.
152 Of old I have known from Your testimonies that You have founded them forever.
 
Message: The Nearness of God in His Word

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: I like how this section because as it is a cry to the Lord for help. Lord, I need your help throughout life. Life is full. Yesterday I had that feeling in the morning of just wanting to rest and take it easy and remembering what my friend Julie said when I spoke to her the previous week, her being retired now and able to enjoy her days. It sounded blissful and yet I wonder if I will ever be there or need to be there. I still think of that message I heard at church last summer about Bible times and how life was about survival and so there was always work to be done. I think this should be my perspective. And this seems to be the perspective of the writer today -- I cried with all my heart. This is someone that comes before the Lord and needs an answer.

Lord, help me to be this person that when I am at the end of my rope, I cry to you. The writer reminds the Lord (as if He needs reminding) that he will observe Your statues. But it is a good reminder that we are full-time followers of God, obedient to His ways, and yet calling to him for favor. Save me and I shall keep Your testimonies. God saves us and our response is to keep His testimonies.

I rise before dawn and cry for help. I come before God with a cry for help. Help me Lord. As I cry, I also wait for Your words. And the words repeat. Hear my voice. Receive me, O Lord. I will meditate on Your word. I stand close to You throughout the tough times, throughout my life. And then i see the contrast here between the wicked who are near to injure and the Lord who is near to truth (v. 150-151). Thank you Lord for being near.

The Psalmist mentions the Lord being near. He is near because the Psalmist is walking with the Lord continually. He is continually present with the Lord. He spends his days in close contact with the Lord. His life is walking with God. Lord, I want to be this person that knows you intimately so that as I navigate life I can do it being near to You and dependent on You.

Promise: Although we do not always feel as if God is near to us, we can be sure that He always draws close to His people when they study His Word and hear it preached.

Prayer: Help me Lord. Help me God. I cry out to You for help. I need you. I will follow You and obey your statutes. I will wait for your words. Keep me far from impatience. Don't let me be a symptom of my circumstances, tossing like wind based upon how things are going at any one time. But instead I want to remain consistent to Your ways. Thank you Lord for being near. Keep me ever mindful of Your ways and You in my life. Don't let me forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment