Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Genesis 2:15 - Taking Care of Home

Genesis 2:15
Then the Lord God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.
Message: Taking Care of Home

Time: Genesis is the first book and Moses is credited as authoring. The book spans 2400 years of time. It was originally written in Hebrew.

What the Lord is Saying: While the Lord own all and owns all of our resources, from the beginning, even before the Fall, Adam was placed in charge of the garden and tasked to cultivate it and keep it. 

As I read through different translations of this verse, the 1st part -- The Lord took the man and put him into the garden of Eden -- remains fairly unchanged from translation to translation. It is interesting because God didn't direct man and lead him to the garden but he took him and put him. This isn't a suggestion, but a mandate by God of man's purpose. This was to be his permanent home, dwelling place.

After placing Adam in it, he is tasked to dress it, work it, or cultivate it. The land was indeed paradise. Remember, there is no Fall at this point, but still the land needs tilled and sowed. Also, in the process he is told to keep it, take care of it, watch over it, guard it, and/or maintain it. Thus, it was possible for it to ruin. Thus, an unproductive harvest does not constitute sin. And there are animals that could hurt or destroy it. Despite sin not being present, it is possible the adversary was present. Adam is tasked to guard the land given him.

As such, I need to protect that which God has given me and count it as a gift what I have. I am to care for my home and keep it safe from intruders. There is a responsibility in having a home and possessing God's gifts. I am to care for these things.

Promise: Thus, we are responsible to use His resources to provide for our families, and we are to protect and increase what the Lord has given to us. God will hold us accountable for what we do with His creation.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for your providence and providing what you have for me. Help me and remind me that it is yours and I am your servant caring for it. Keep me grateful and keep me diligent to care for it. Thank you for helping me to do this and providing me the means to care for it and those near me.


No comments:

Post a Comment