Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Psalm 119:153-160 - Seeking God's Statutes

Psalm 119:153-160
153 Look upon my affliction and rescue me, for I do not forget Your law.
154 Plead my cause and redeem me; revive me according to Your word.
155 Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek Your statutes.
156 Great are Your mercies, O Lord; revive me according to Your ordinances.
157 Many are my persecutors and my adversaries,
yet I do not turn aside from Your testimonies.
158 I behold the treacherous and loathe
them, because they do not keep Your word.
159 Consider how I love Your precepts; revive me, O Lord, according to Your lovingkindness.
160 The sum of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting.

Message: Seeking God's Statutes

Time: The psalms were written by many different people across a period of a thousand years in Israel's history. They are thought to have been compiled and put together in their present form by some unknown editor shortly after the captivity ended about 537 B.C.

What the Lord is Saying: As I read through this passage the first time, on the heels of the last set of verses in Psalm 119 that spoke of the nearness of God and Your commandments are truth, and to know Your testimonies, the challenge here to me is to know the Word of God and it a light to my paths. But, again, in looking at that nearness and pondering it, the Word of God and God's Laws and his truths remain near to me. The true believer does not waiver in His beliefs because of difficult circumstances, but instead it makes him cling every more tightly to the truths and his total dependency on God. The way we got through affliction and how we are rescued is by not forgetting the Law and God redeems me. Set me right Lord, according to Your Word. 

 [Lord, I talk to many that are wanting out of circumstances they view bad or not of success, bring these people back to the Word of God so that they will see the truths and promises of what you have commanded and can then approach their circumstances in a new way. Daily, I walk with You Lord and throughout all of life's circumstances You breath life into them and you work them out for Your glory. I think of Derek and his smoking habit that he has gotten in at a young age. Lord, that has been a difficulty I wish on no one, yet through that challenge you reveal to me the importance of my relationship with my wife and with You, that I can remain committed to you and I must. And that these problems we have in our life are at the most basic level -- sin. And for any sin, I need to turn from it and recognize You as Savior and Lord. This is what I pray for My Son Derek, that he would know You as Savior and Lord. I pray that the truth of who you are would permeate his life so that he is defined by the truth of Gospel and his goal is to seek and follow You.]

[And, too, I look at my daughter, who is struggling with preparing for a wedding, while also navigating her own health challenges. Keep her on the right course. Give her hope and keep her instructed by Your word, and that you are fully capable of walking with her and healing her from this that ails her. Help her and Brandon to communicate better, not by text, but by talking. Cement that in their lives. Lord, we can thank you for these trials because you use them to align us more closely to You.]

In verse 155, I am reminded that Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek Your statutes. The truth of who you are is far from those who daily practice wickedness. Wickedness is subtle in this world, not because sin is less clear, but society has made it less clear. I was looking at this article yesterday in the WSJ and it was addressing titles of books that are made up of curse words and the author of the article stated that society has now deemed those words less offensive and so they can be used as titles for book. Lord, it is disheartening to hear of how sin is changed in its definition and moved more and more to acceptable behavior. May that be not so in my life. Keep me on the course where my words do not even hint at caving and marching to the tune of society. People so often do not keep your statutes as this verse states and yet we act surprised that they don't therefore align with our principles. I find it so tragic because our view of ourselves and our view of sin is what helps us to see our need for a Savior. Lord, may you help people see the truth of their sin. May you bring to light sin in this life. 

Great are Your mercies, O Lord; revive me according to Your ordinances. I Love this proclamation that the Mercies of God are great. Lord, you have had mercy on me a sinner, a law breaker, by allowing me to go free. Many are my persecutors and my adversaries, I do not turn aside from Your testimonies. Many are against me. That is the truth that we don't see because people present themselves like they agree with me, but many are my adversaries, but keep me charged and guided and not turned aside from Your testimonies. I behold the treacherous and loathe, because they do not keep Your word. I am saddened by those that do not keep your word. I have many, like Derek in London that spends his times denying you and not keeping your word and finds joy in religion washing away. Draw him to you. Help me be a lover of your precepts. Revive me (and him), O Lord, according to Your lovingkindness. It is your love that sets us free, your love for me from all eternity to know that I needed a Savior and substitute for my sin. The sum of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting. You are truth and every one of your commands is everlasting.

Promise: The Law cannot save, but the Law does show us our need for a Savior.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for saving me and thank you for showing me my sin and my incredible need for You Lord, My Savior. Thank you for continually exposing the sin in my life and helping me see a sin of being unthankful or having anxiety or being discontent. Help me to accept and be content in any situation. Lord, I don't want to live in the realm that life is not complete unless I have freedom from financial situations, but true freedom is found in You Lord for you give peace in all circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment