Friday, December 30, 2022

Genesis 17 - Baptism and Children

Genesis 17 - 10 This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you, every male among you shall be circumcised...11...it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you. 12 And every male among you who is eight days old shall be circumcised throughout your generations...14 But an uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant


Time: Genesis is the first book and Moses is credited as authoring. The book spans 2400 years of time. It was originally written in Hebrew.

What the Lord is Saying: Well, this is a lesson I have been wanting to understand for some time. I have always wondered why infants are baptized. For me, a person growing up in a very Catholic heavy state of New Mexico, USA, baptism of infants was common, but later in my life, probably just 10 years ago in discovering the Reformed church and to found out that noted scholars such as RC Sproul also signed on to and agreed with infant baptism has been startling to me. And honestly I had never really taken the time to try to understand their position. 

Today's lesson states that while this issue is controversial today or rather there is clear opposition for it, 500 years ago, at the time of the Reformation while there may have been differences in theology, Anglicans, Lutherans and Reformers all agreed that baptism can be administered to those who profess faith and their children. 

I started to understand this as I did the lesson before the last when Paul showed the similarity between circumcision and baptism. In that lesson and seeing that baptism is really the new testament circumcision it made me think that infant baptism is in line with circumcision of the past. And the first point being that if circumcision occurred both before and after a person made a belief in God then this would mean baptism, if it has a link to circumcision is a sacrament that could be administered either before or after a person is saved or regenerated. 

In today's passage, this act of circumcision was given to Israel to speak of a sign of the covenant between God and man. It was something that happened to all the members of a family chosen by God. It was not for pagans but for his chosen people or nation. I am reminded of that verse from Joshua 24:15 which ends with, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Perhaps that idea of the leader of the family making the statement that his house will serve the Lord means that children are to be included in this sign of regeneration. Acts 16:15 also records the statement, "And when she and her household had been baptized" which gives the idea that the children were included in baptism.  

Many think that if the new testament does not repeat something from the old Testament then it doesn't apply, but what if rather the Old Testament begins the standard and unless the New Testament speaks otherwise then the ways of the Old Testament remain? It is possible it would seem. 

Think about Matthew 5:17-20 -- 

17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

If Christ did not abolish the Law but fulfill it and we are not to annul its commands but rather continue to teach them. 

This is an interesting perspective. It is way different from how I have been raised and taught to think. This doesn't nullify baptism by immersion at an older age when someone is converted for the first time, but it does give the idea that baptism by a child is because the Christian household is commissioned toward Christ and it is a sign of regeneration to all. 

Summary: Baptism can include children of a believing parent to provide evidence of the sign of regeneration for the entire family. 

Promise: To baptize only those who have professed faith may run the risk of making baptism more about our response to God than about God's initiative to saving us. 

Prayer: God, thank you for continuing to teach me through Your Word and helping me better understand the meaning of your word and how it is applied, yet in many different ways by people all called by you and part of the visible church. Yet, Lord, there seems to be only one way and yet different takes on what that one way is, which seems to be normal. Help me to be one that hones in You and always affirms You as My Savior and Lord. Give me continued wisdom. Thank you for where you have placed me but also allowing me to see and understand Your Word in its different applications. Continue to confirm yourself to Me and draw Me closer to you. Show me how I am to respond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment