Friday, December 2, 2022

I Samuel 16:14-23 - The Power of Music

I Samuel 16:14-23
14 Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord terrorized him. 15 Saul’s servants then said to him, “Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. 16 Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well.” 17 So Saul said to his servants, “Provide for me now a man who can play well and bring him to me.” 18 Then one of the young men said, “Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite who is a skillful musician, a mighty man of valor, a warrior, one prudent in speech, and a handsome man; and the Lord is with him.” 19 So Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, “Send me your son David who is with the flock.” 20 Jesse took a donkey loaded with bread and a jug of wine and a young goat, and sent them to Saul by David his son. 21 Then David came to Saul and attended him; and Saul loved him greatly, and he became his armor bearer. 22 Saul sent to Jesse, saying, “Let David now stand before me, for he has found favor in my sight.” 23 So it came about whenever the evil spirit from God came to Saul, David would take the harp and play it with his hand; and Saul would be refreshed and be well, and the evil spirit would depart from him.


Time: The events that happen in 1 Samuel took place over a period of about 110 years, stretching from the closing days of the judges, when Samuel was born (ca. 1120 BC) through the death of Saul (1011 BC). We see the birth of Samuel, his call from God and subsequent prophetic ministry, the rise and fall of King Saul, and the anointing and maturity of young David.

What the Lord is Saying:

Music is powerful in our lives and in worship. Music has been a big part of my life. I can remember getting hooked on buying 45s when I was a kid, probably around the age of 7 is when I started this (Mr. Jaws). And then buying my first album a year later at 8. And it simply continued. I rarely get focused on one song though and rather like artists and many songs that an artist performs. But music has been a constant in my life.

In church, I have seen music be a little controversial. It seems around the late 90s and early 2000s when praise and worship music began to be more of a centerpiece in the Christian music industry, churches also began to introduce these tunes in worship resulting in different styles of music in a service and some churches choosing to have a contemporary service and others a traditional worship service (this is captured so well in this movie - Jesus Music). I never was interested in attending something that was different because I liked the mix of the two - some traditional and some contemporary. Some churches believe there should only be acapella music and no instruments because instruments are not mentioned in the New Testament. I don't agree with this interpretation, but am fine with people that make this choice. 

Songs are played regularly at college sporting events as we celebrate with "our song." And even some couples think of "their song" when describing their relationship. Music is background noise most often at doctor's offices and everywhere we shop. 

Today's passage is an interesting one in that the evil spirit that torments Saul would flee whenever David took up his lyre and played for the king. 
So it came about whenever the evil spirit from God came to Saul, David would take the harp and play it with his hand; and Saul would be refreshed and be well, and the evil spirit would depart from him.
Wow! Music was significant 3000 years ago as well. Listening to music was refreshing and calmed Saul but also had power and moved the evil spirit away. This is a great reminder to me and also instruction that music can simply refresh and relax us but it can also have spiritual power in listening to it. Music in our churches in all of its controversy does impact us. I heard Russ Taff say once in an interview, though I'm guessing he was not the first to say this, that "Music has a way of speaking to us like nothing else in our world." That quote and line which I heard listening to an interview in the early 90s has always stuck with me. It has a way of speaking to us, like nothing else. 

Summary: Music was created by God. And as his creation, he uses it to testify of Him and to minister to us. There is a great power of music. 

Promise: Scripture prescribes no particular kind of music, so the choices of music we use in worship and even for leisure must be guided by Christian wisdom. 

Prayer: O God, my God, thank you for music. Thank you for creating music and the power that it is in our lives. Like so many things in life it speaks to a cacophony of gifts and expressions that speak of your great love for us. Often, it takes us to another place as we listen that is full of joy and happiness and praise to You. I see it in church and hear it in a concert or even a quiet song or instrumental. Lord, I am struck in amazement by your great love for us. It has impacted my life and my devotion. Thank you for prompting me at the moment in my life, at age 15, to center myself on the music that is to praise You. I am not to ever regret tossing those records in the trash for that was trading altars - the one I created for the one You created. I know some people have determined that this Christian music is not of You. I stand in question often how two well meaning Christ followers can have two opposite interpretations of Your Word and yet each of them glorify You. It reminds me at times that maybe there isn't a right way for some of these things, but in those convictions the result still is you are glorified and what matters is the heart and motive of the person - of me. You get my praise for music even from those that may not acknowledge You as Savior and yet for me in their music I can still praise you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment