Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Matthew 28:18-20 - The Institution of Baptism

Matthew 28:18-20 - 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”


Time: The date of Matthew's composition is anywhere from 55-60 AD probably in Antioch of Syria, written by Matthew, the former tax collector, and one of the 12 disciples or apostles. The writing is most likely to the Jews. His purpose was to show them that Jesus of Nazareth was the expected messiah and both his genealogy and his resurrection were legitimate proofs of this.

What the Lord is Saying: During the Reformation, as the Protestants studied scripture they believed that the churches only sacraments are to be the Lord's Supper and Baptism. The defining factor was that they had been instituted by Christ. 

As Jesus prepared to ascend into heaven He spoke of the great commission, the giving of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all people and in the process of seeing people coming to faith and becoming His disciples He stated that baptism should occur among people in the name of the triune God: Father, Son and Spirit. Therefore, churches today need to prioritize baptism and as we do this we need to be clear in it being in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit. 

Baptism allows us time to teach of the importance of God in three persons. John Calvin comments on Matthew 28:18-20, "We perceive that God cannot be truly known, unless our faith distinctly conceived of Three Persons in one essence; and that the fruit and efficacy of baptism proceed form God the Father adopting us through His Son, and after having cleansed us from the pollutions of the flesh through the Spirit, creating us anew to righteousness." 

Also, the Greek word for baptism does not give mention of a specific mode for baptism - as such immersion, dipping, pouring, sprinkling, or any other means of applying water are lawful. 

In my life I have always been in churches that upheld immersion baptism. And this baptism often occurred at the request of the individual as part of their obedience. I think these churches believe this is the only way and I think this is fine to have these convictions. And yet it is also possible I think for others to have different convictions about other ways people are baptized. 

I was baptized after attending a Disciple Now (a weekend church retreat for youth in which 10-15 young people gathered in a person's home for bible study and fellowship) that occurred after I became a Christian in 1982. I think my baptism occurred in 1984 or 1985. I don't remember, but I remember who performed it: a man by the name of Jim Brooks who led a retreat I attended that weekend not far from my house. My regret in life was not letting my mother know that the baptism was occurring and she showed up for church after it had happened. That is one of many regrets I have in regards to my mom and my failure to include her and be included in her life. 

Summary: Baptism is commanded in Scripture following conversion and it is to be instituted in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit, but the method can be any form with water over the person. 

Promise: If a baptism is not administered in the triune name of God, it is invalid. This is a new covenant baptism. 

Prayer: O Father God, you are Holy and good and true. Your Name is above all other names. You have given us baptism as a command. We witnessed you Jesus being baptized and now we are to do the same and also do it in the name of God, Son, and Spirit. Thank you for placing me in environments that have always prioritized this and I pray your Church would continue to uphold this. Work in me continually Lord to strengthen the Body of Christ and encourage this as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment